You are not logged in.

subopt

Wednesday, September 22nd 2010, 5:56pm

Digging out sprinkler heads

I recently bought a house that has a 10 year old or so system. The lady who owned it didn't do any maintenance and I'm noticing some problems. A lot of the heads are leaning. I found some hiding under overgrown shrubs. Some are shooting directly into the grass -- the grass has grown above the heads (prob a result 10 years of mulching grass). Should I dig out the grass surrounding the head or attempt to add risers? Also, I've noticed a lot of sand in the soil around the heads. Is this the recommended fill around a head? Lastly, there's a hodgepodge mix of brands, even within zones: Rainbird, Champion, Hunter and some other brand I can't read. Even though they are the same type (either spray or rotor) within a zone, is this a problem? Thanks

Sprinkler Buddy

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 2:36pm

RE: Digging out sprinkler heads

I recently bought a house that has a 10 year old or so system. The lady who owned it didn't do any maintenance and I'm noticing some problems. A lot of the heads are leaning. I found some hiding under overgrown shrubs. Some are shooting directly into the grass -- the grass has grown above the heads (prob a result 10 years of mulching grass). Should I dig out the grass surrounding the head or attempt to add risers? Also, I've noticed a lot of sand in the soil around the heads. Is this the recommended fill around a head? Lastly, there's a hodgepodge mix of brands, even within zones: Rainbird, Champion, Hunter and some other brand I can't read. Even though they are the same type (either spray or rotor) within a zone, is this a problem? Thanks

Congrats:

I would use risers to bring the sprinkler heads back up to their proper height. The root base of a lawn will often become higher overtime, that is common with FL yards. Sand around the heads are one of two things. 1. Sprinkler inner parts are worn. 2. You may have a leak or a broken riser at the water source and it boils water up the sprinkler head shaft. Different heads not a major problem but I would replace them all with the same brand of your choice as they wear out. Many are leaning from the dirt not being compacted around them. Causes are the above mentioned or they also are getting wacked by the mower tires. Enjoy your new yard!

Rate this thread