You are not logged in.

mxquattro

Unregistered

Friday, October 1st 2010, 1:35pm

No wet_boots, having 3 or 4 24" boxes with sprinkler heads on them is fine. But having piping between them above ground wouldnt be. Location isnt flexible, we are just trying to minimize issues.

mxquattro

Unregistered

Friday, October 1st 2010, 7:46pm

Just when I thought I couldnt get more confused. I just went to order all my parts and holy cow there are a ton of options. It looks like I might need help with that too.. It seems I have to get the nozzle separate from the body? Since Im putting them on boxes, I dont need/want pop ups. Its a strip about 12' wide and 50' long and on a slight hill. I want to put nozzles only on one side so Im thinking 180 degree pattern maybe 10 feet apart and ill need an electric (I would guess) solenoid to prevent siphoning when off. Im definitely getting the boxes with covers like suggested above. Make sense or am I missing something? Thank you!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 10:01am

If you want even watering (do you?) then you will have nozzles on both sides of the strip. If this is laid on a slope, then the water will drain from the low heads. you can deal with this by installing check valves under each nozzle, in the plumbing connecting the nozzle adapter. It could be that by the time you buy check valves and nozzle adapters, you'd be better off using small popup heads with check valves built in.

-

Is overspray an issue? Assuming the antifreeze cost money, I would expect so.

mxquattro

Unregistered

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 4:17pm

Hi wet_boots. I think youre right about having it on both sides, I may have to consider that. We were leaning toward an electric type solenoid check valve underneath vs one in the head. we were trying to avoid popup heads altogether since this is going to be for cold weather testing, and if we have freezing rain or something, we still want them to spray and not be stuck in ice and not pop up. We will be spraying for 15 seconds a shot every hour or so, so there wont be a lot of run off I hope. If so we can adjust the time. but yes, we do want even spray coverage.
Are there electric check valves on this site? (sprinklerwarehouse.com) I cant say as I saw any. Id love one to fit in the 6" round valve box that was recommended to me.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 10:28am

There are no "electric check valves" per se. You have electric valves. You have check valves. Two separate items. Little plastic check valves can be had, to thread onto 1/2-inch pipe threads, one for each nozzle.

mxquattro

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 9:18pm

thanks for that clarification. I assume I use one or the other right? Would never need both?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 11:04am

If the system runs from a controller, you will have an electric valve - the individual check valves would be what prevents low-head drainage. (although I do wonder why level ground isn't being chosen for this project)

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 6th 2010, 4:04pm

thanks for that clarification. I assume I use one or the other right? Would never need both?

Check valves are devices that allow water to only flow in one direction. If you don't want the irrigation pipes to drain out the lowest spray head when the system is turned off, you install check valves under each and every spray head.

Electric valves are simple On/Off valves that allow you to start/stop the irrigation system using an electronic controller. If you plan on having someone manually turn the water on/off, you don't need electric valves. If you want to be able to set the system to automatically turn on, you'll want electric valves.

mxquattro

Unregistered

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 7:42am

OK Got it, thank you. It sounds like if I wanted though, I can use an electric valve at each sprinkler head too. Of course it wouldnt make sense to due to cost, but seems feasible. I think i have a grasp on what I need now, thank you everyone.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 9:06pm

Electric zone valves do nothing to prevent water from flowing thought them in reverse, so no, they would not serve as check valves.