You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, September 30th 2010, 7:43pm

Hunter PGP Ultra or I20?

I'm a homeowner anticipating installing an irrigation system myself sometime in the next year. My design calls for 26 rotors in addition to a number of spray heads. I am considering either the new PGP Ultra or I20 for my choice of rotor. The price differential per head is $3 from an online irrigation supply store I will be purchasing from. My question is whether or not the extra $3 is worth going with the I20. My understanding is that the main difference in the two heads is that the I20 comes with: a check valve (not really needed since my property is flat), the ability to shut off individual heads in a zone while adjusting, and a heavier duty spring. The only one of these three additional features that seems to matter much to me is the stronger spring. But is it worth the extra money? An irrigation contractor was at my neighbor's house just the other day doing a winterization blowout and he told me that they only use the I20 because it is more reliable than the PGP and has a longer warranty. Your thoughts? Also Hunter PGV valve or Rainbird DV?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 30th 2010, 8:35pm

the gears that make an I-20 turn are identical to those that make any PGP turn - a strong spring is nice, as long as it doesn't prevent the head from popping up - that does happen sometimes

mrfixit

Thursday, September 30th 2010, 9:44pm

Before you purchase online I hope you consider buying from the store this site is affiliated with.
Free shipping over 150 dollars.
www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Hunter-Rotors-s/319.htm
---
Just as comment on the stronger spring. I replaced the guts on a 570 Toro recently with the new design and it wouldn't pop up. Upon further investigation I noticed the spring was much stronger. Had to swap springs. I've had that problem swapping from an 1800 to a SAM as well. If you have good water pressure I wouldn't worry about the I20's. Boots is right. The I20 is a good sprinkler. If the extra cost isn't a factor the I20 will make you happy.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 30th 2010, 10:03pm

Not a Hunter guy, but I have heard comments that the I20 needs 40 psi at the head in order to pop it up reliably. Any input?

mrfixit

Thursday, September 30th 2010, 11:41pm

Operating Specifications

• Discharge rate: 0.36 to 9.8 GPM
  • Radius: 17' to 46'
  • Recommended pressure range: 30 to 70 PSI
  • Operating pressure range: 20 to 100 PSI
  • Precipitation rates: approximately 0.4" per hour at 45 PSI for spacing from 25' to 45'
  • Nozzle trajectory: standard – 25˚; low angle – 13˚
  • Drain check valve for up to 10' elevation change

www.hunterindustries.com/Products/Rotors/i20ultra.html

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 1st 2010, 10:52am

I use the ordinary PGP and always will, because it has more flexibility of use than any other version of it. Outside of the check valve and shut-off, it lacks nothing.

mrfixit

Friday, October 1st 2010, 3:15pm

I use the PGP as well. It's an excellent sprinkler. 99% of the jobs I do are residential. I rarely run across a yard with I20's installed. When I do I'm impressed by the quality. More threads on the cap for one. Any Hunter rotor is an excellent sprinkler.

Friday, October 1st 2010, 3:49pm

Thanks for all your input. Does your opinion of the pgp apply to the new pgp ultra too?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 10:07am

PGP Ultra = completely irrelevant to my work. Original PGPs are replaced with the identical heads, because I need the original nozzles. I20s are replaced by I20s. I have no use for a PGP Ultra.

debo

Friday, December 10th 2010, 7:11pm

Use the PGP since the I-20 SUCK on distribution of water..I have tried up to hunter I-45: I -40 spray better but need more PSI.

Rate this thread