You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

LA552

Saturday, October 2nd 2010, 5:22pm

Zone won't run, but one sprinkler weeps

Hey guys, just stumbled onto this forum while trying to figure out a solution to a problem I have with my Hunter Pro - C sprinkler system. My problem is, one zone won't run, as in none of the heads pop up. The controller works fine, and I ran the Hunter diagnostics on the controller to search for a bad solenoid, which comes up clean. The odd thing is, one sprinkler head, the lowest elevation one weeps while the zone is being run. It weeps enough to make the area around it a marsh and water will trickle over the curb. I replaced that head (had one already) but that didn't change anything. I've located the valve and solenoid, and there is a knob that I can turn to manually open it. When I do open it manually, it "hisses" but nothing happens in the zone (except for the weeping sprinkler head). I know the knob trick works because I did it on another zone and it turns on the zone just fine. So what's the next step? Open it up and clean out the valve? What if there isn't anything in there? Help! Thanks!

mrfixit

Saturday, October 2nd 2010, 7:59pm

The diaphragm has fallen apart. There will be a couple of parts down in the manifold you'll have to flush out before installing the new diaphragm. There's probably a stainless steel washer and/or a plastic piece.

LA552

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 7:19am

Thanks! I'll get to taking it apart. Looks like I should check the exhaust port too according to this Hunter video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6TB6aZnws

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Oct 3rd 2010, 3:31pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 9:43am

If the suspect valve is an Irritrol 205, or whatever else it was called in its past, there will be a stainless steel ring on the cover, and the diaphragm assembly will need to be replaced.

mrfixit

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 3:30pm

The valve wouldn't leak if it was just an exhaust port.

I agree with Boots. It's probably a 205 style. The Irritrol 100 style diaphragm also breaks apart.

Rate this thread