You are not logged in.

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 12:09pm

Winerizing (blowout) sprinkler with Wilkins 975XL RP - Where to attach?

Hello. Please help me out. This is what my RP and set up looks like. Without taking the valve assembly completely out, where would I place the pipe for the air pressure to blow out the lines/heads? The water flows from right to left in the picture. Test cocks are shown and are left to right numbers 4,3,2 and 1.

A local plumber (unfamiliar with this type valve) suggested an air nipple in test cock #4 (leftmost in picture.)

I thank you all in advance for your help. advice and consideration.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 2:19pm

If there is absolutely no other blow out point, test cock #4 will work.

Is the RP in the basement or outdoors?

Sunday, October 3rd 2010, 9:49pm

Thank you for the fast reply. The device is located outside and, unfortunately, there is absolutely no other port.

Thanks again.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, October 4th 2010, 8:36pm

I'll probably catch a lot of flack for saying this, but...You may want to consider using test cock #1 then. A lot of people on this site are opposed to blowing air through back flow devices, however, leaving any water in the RP over winter will cause freeze problems. Typically, the bottom circular plate will bulge and warp, causing a leak between it and the rubber diaphragm. Do your best to drain any water from the supply pipe coming from the house.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 5th 2010, 10:25am

Strictly a case of RTFM - connect downstream of the assembly - the last testcock will do in a pinch. You also have to dismantle the device to get every last bit of water out of it. For what these things cost, there's no reason to go half-measures on their maintenance. Don't forget to turn the handles to a 45 degree angle.

desmo907

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 9:42am

FE765-075 -wintering?

After I took off the ~20 year old Atmospheric device that broke, I installed the FE765-075. However on the prior setup there was a standard valve installed before the Atmospheric device that I assume they attached a hose to in order to blow out the system in preparation for winter. I installed the new FE765-075 without that valve and assume they can connect directly to the Pressure Vacuum Breaker but am unsure how?
desmo907 has attached the following file:
  • febco765.gif (5.78 kB - 22 times downloaded - Last download: Jul 26th 2014, 12:30pm)

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 10:55am

Hello All:

Thanks for all the good information. I just finished blowing out my sprinkler system. I attached a standard air nipple to test cock #4 on my Wilkins RP 975xl. It worked just fine. It took me a lot longer than I would have liked because my compressor isn't all that big, but I let the compressor build up to 140 lbs and adjusted the output t0 limit the pressure to 80 lbs. I blew each run until there was no mist of water at all (maybe even over kill).

Also, I took everyones advice and completely drained the 975XL. I left all test cocks open, and made sure the handles were at 45 degree angles.

Thanks again! I hope everyone has a great winter and see everyone in the spring when we crank everything up again.