You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 1:45pm

RE: OP here

Does anyone have an opinion on the $10 orbit water pressure gauge at that orange store?

I can't find specifications on this guage, other than a vauge nomenclature that basically means that it's not going to be perfectly accurate.

But this device is a WATTS device, and they don't exactly make crap. My best educated guess is that the reading you get on the guage is going to be +/- 2 or 3 psi.

But then irrigation design isn't that exact. You don't need to know the exact pressure because you've got to design conservatively (after all, the exact water pressure is going to change over time based on consuption not only in your home but in the neiborhood around you).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 7th 2010, 9:28pm

RE: OP here

I have a Neptune 5/8" meter (model T10) which is rated at 150psi and a normal operating rangeof 1/2 to 20 gpm. So looks like this bad boy could handle 18 gpm. Besides if it wears out, isn't that on the water company since I was operating within the normal range? Also looked into larger meter. They are willing to do it but a 3/4 inch is about 5-10 dollars more per month. Not gonna bankrupt me, but why upgrade if the 5/8 can handle 18 gpm?
Don't run more than 15 gpm through the 5/8 meter. There are two flow ranges. Continuous Duty, and Maximum flow rate. If you go near to maxing out the flow on a meter, it can get noisy, and you get to live with the noise.

Friday, October 8th 2010, 8:05pm

Static Pressure

Wet Boots: Thanks. I will take your advice and not exceed 15 gpm. BTW, I bought a pressure gauge today at the plumbing supply. I screwed it on to the PVB, so the mainline goes right to the control valves from there. So the static pressure at the PVB was 52. This was at around 6 PM today. I'm gonna set my alarm for tomorrow morning at 6:30 AM to see if it will be any more. But it looks like I'm gonna be somewhere between 50-55 psi.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 13th 2010, 9:14am

Don't forget to account for water usage in the house.

If you want to design for a maximum of 15gpm through the METER, then you don't want to use ALL 15 gpm for the irrigation system. There will be times you will want to run the irrigation system, take a shower, run the dishwasher, and flush a toilet (and perhaps more) all at the same time.