You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Rumplek

Sunday, October 17th 2010, 4:42pm

Leaking head, replaced all valve parts, but can't determine what's wrong

I have old Toro 254 inline valves (4 of them). I've discovered a leaking head a the lowest end of the line. I ordered replacement valves from SW and replaced the 4 diaphrams, seats, solenoids, etc. I also replaced the rthereotor head that was leaking (just to be safe). But after all of these replacements, the head is still leaking. I've checked to be sure each valve is clean and free of debris. Is there anything that I could be missing that would cause this leaking?

Thanks for the help.

mrfixit

Sunday, October 17th 2010, 7:07pm

RE: Leaking head, replaced all valve parts, but can't determine what's wrong

I have old Toro 254 inline valves (4 of them). I've discovered a leaking head a the lowest end of the line. I ordered replacement valves from SW and replaced the 4 diaphrams, seats, solenoids, etc. Is there anything that I could be missing that would cause this leaking?
That white plastic ring isn't actually the seat. It's a guide for the diaphragm. The seat is the part the diaphragm's washer presses against. The seat is attached to the body of the valve. It can't be replaced. You should take the valve back apart and check the seat for a tiny hairline crack or a pit. The crack can be very hard to see. Use a flashlight. You'll probably have to change the whole valve.

Rumplek

Sunday, October 17th 2010, 8:08pm

Thank you mrfixit. I'll give that a try. That would certainly explain it. I've spent hours now trying to get this right. A tiny hairline crack in the body of the valve be something I wouldn't have looked for. I dread having to replace the whole valve though.

charliekatz

Unregistered

Friday, November 19th 2010, 6:53pm

How do you replace a valve ?

Thank you mrfixit. I'll give that a try. That would certainly explain it. I've spent hours now trying to get this right. A tiny hairline crack in the body of the valve be something I wouldn't have looked for. I dread having to replace the whole valve though.

Rate this thread