You are not logged in.

Cardinal_Moriarity

Unregistered

Friday, October 29th 2010, 4:40am

Can a rainbird DV100 solenoid be found with a metal detector?

One section of my sprinkler isnt shutting down properly. I've been looking with a probe where the plan indicated the valve should be but no luck. Does anyone know if a rainbird DV100 can be found with a metal detector?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, October 29th 2010, 9:00am

That is a pretty good question. There are usually some screws on the top. I do not know.

:?: :?:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

mrfixit

Friday, October 29th 2010, 2:08pm

Metal detecting is my hobby. I dig holes at work. I dig holes at play. The thing is with metal such as screws or coins, if they're not in contact with the ground the metal detector has a hard time picking the item up unless you're very close to them.

I'd venture to say if your valve is in a box that's not full of dirt you're not going to find the valve with a metal detector. Even if it is full of dirt if the valve's anymore than about 4-6 inches deep I doubt you're going to find it. You might be able to follow the wire there if it's not more than about 4 inches deep.

Water the area. Metal's much easier to find when the ground is wet.
---
When you get tired of that you could rent a wire locator and find the valve in no time.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 29th 2010, 2:24pm

Metal detector, no ~ Cable locator, yes.

Cardinal_Moriarity

Unregistered

Friday, December 31st 2010, 9:54pm

Thanks for the help Guys. I got a guy in with a cable detector and he couldn't find it. As an added insult I've just found he disconnected a wire from a solenoid I had already found and as a result most of that part of the lawn is dead. Grrrr. Oh well back to the drawing board looks like its probe an shovel time.

kosterirrigation

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 9:34am

I have a schonstedt GA-52 and i can tell you it will not likely pick up valves.

Ive tried.

You need to go rent from your local irrigation supply house a valve locator.

Either the Armada Pro700 or the Tempo 521, Either of these two will quickly help you locate the valve.