You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Cardinal_Moriarity

Unregistered

Friday, October 29th 2010, 4:40am

Can a rainbird DV100 solenoid be found with a metal detector?

One section of my sprinkler isnt shutting down properly. I've been looking with a probe where the plan indicated the valve should be but no luck. Does anyone know if a rainbird DV100 can be found with a metal detector?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, October 29th 2010, 9:00am

That is a pretty good question. There are usually some screws on the top. I do not know.

:?: :?:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

mrfixit

Friday, October 29th 2010, 2:08pm

Metal detecting is my hobby. I dig holes at work. I dig holes at play. The thing is with metal such as screws or coins, if they're not in contact with the ground the metal detector has a hard time picking the item up unless you're very close to them.

I'd venture to say if your valve is in a box that's not full of dirt you're not going to find the valve with a metal detector. Even if it is full of dirt if the valve's anymore than about 4-6 inches deep I doubt you're going to find it. You might be able to follow the wire there if it's not more than about 4 inches deep.

Water the area. Metal's much easier to find when the ground is wet.
---
When you get tired of that you could rent a wire locator and find the valve in no time.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 29th 2010, 2:24pm

Metal detector, no ~ Cable locator, yes.

Cardinal_Moriarity

Unregistered

Friday, December 31st 2010, 9:54pm

Thanks for the help Guys. I got a guy in with a cable detector and he couldn't find it. As an added insult I've just found he disconnected a wire from a solenoid I had already found and as a result most of that part of the lawn is dead. Grrrr. Oh well back to the drawing board looks like its probe an shovel time.

kosterirrigation

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 9:34am

I have a schonstedt GA-52 and i can tell you it will not likely pick up valves.

Ive tried.

You need to go rent from your local irrigation supply house a valve locator.

Either the Armada Pro700 or the Tempo 521, Either of these two will quickly help you locate the valve.