You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cevans42

Monday, November 29th 2010, 8:27am

Replacing Mechanical Controller with Digital (Pump not turning on)

Thank you in advance for any input on this topic.

I had an old timer that was giving me issues on my irrigation system and decided to switch to a new digital timer. The old system is as follows:

Timer: Intermatic
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-T101-Hour-Dial-Timer/dp/B00002N5FN

Valve: 4 zone cycle

Pump: 1 HP - OLD no make or model on pump.

I noticed that within the mechanical timer there was a "pump start relay" within the case, and because I was able to remove the "Timer" components and it was a perfectly fine weatherproof case...I decided to see if I could utilize the pump start relay components with my new system.

New system is as follows:

Timer: Rainbird STPi 400
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Rain-Bird-STPi-400-p/stpi-400.htm

Valves: Orbit 3 Valve Inline Manifold Assembly
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg2/R-202206757/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

**Current Status:
I have installed all necessary wiring...plumbed all the valves...hooked up the wiring..etc..

When I activate a zone (3 zones total in system) I can hear the valve activating but my pump is not kicking on.
I have attached the common wire and MV/PS wire to the additional two leads on the relay as shown in this diagram..

http://www.orbitirrigation.com/lib/media/57009-20%20rD.pdf

I am at 120 V on terminals L1 and L2 (IN) and at 0 V at L1 and L2 (OUT)...and when I put the meter on the 24V areas from the diagram...I am getting just that 24 V.

I have basically narrowed it down to the pump relay being inadequate for whatever reason for the digital timer...I guess I am looking for an answer on additional wiring that I may need to do...or am I going to have to replace the pump relay with a different model specifically designed for use with digital timers. If I do have to replace with different...suggestions on make/model and where to buy would be greatly appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, November 29th 2010, 11:30pm

Get a pump relay that will work with solid-state sprinkler controllers. Forget about anything you used before.

cevans42

Tuesday, November 30th 2010, 6:52am

Thanks for the input...I actually did go ahead and buy a new pump relay by Orbit, fired right up.

New problem, one of the valves on the preassembled manifold is not working properly. I've tested multiple stations on the timer for this valve and the thing wont kick open unless I manually turn.

The only problem with buying a preassembled unit is now that I have it completely together and plumbed...I figure out I have one faulty valve...I cant just take it back to HD.

Any help on troubleshooting valve issue would be appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, December 1st 2010, 5:17pm

Assume the valve is good and that your wiring is bad - and besides, you usually want to have a spare valve on hand, just for instances like this.

Friday, April 22nd 2011, 6:08pm

Thanks for the input...I actually did go ahead and buy a new pump relay by Orbit, fired right up.

New problem, one of the valves on the preassembled manifold is not working properly. I've tested multiple stations on the timer for this valve and the thing wont kick open unless I manually turn.

The only problem with buying a preassembled unit is now that I have it completely together and plumbed...I figure out I have one faulty valve...I cant just take it back to HD.

Any help on troubleshooting valve issue would be appreciated.
I agree with Wet_Boots. You definitely want to keep an extra sprinkler valve on hand for cases like this. The manufacturer of the preassembled unit probably offers a multi-year warranty. Taking it apart may be a pain but for best sprinkler efficiency, it may be worth it.

Rate this thread