You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

steph01

Monday, December 27th 2010, 10:32am

Check a system for underground leak

I have been checking my home for water leaks. I have recently had the sewer pipes under the slab checked and they were ok. I check the water meter on the incoming water to my home and it does not indicate a leak. At this point I would like to ask some questions of the sprinkler community.

1. Are sprinkler system piping normally run under the slab of a home?

2. What is the best way of checking the sprinkler system for a piping leak underground?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, December 27th 2010, 11:39am

Piping to a sprinkler system are almost never run under the slab of a house. Unless, there is an addition to a house and a very poor caliber contractor is pouring the concrete. Usually, the sprinkler is put in after the hard boundaries are in like fences, slabs, pool, patio. Often when an addition is made the the property the irrigation system is modified to fit the new footprint. If you checked the meter correctly and there is no leak present that means that the only time you could have a leak is when the sprinklers are in operation. How long did you look at the meter? You should watch the small triangle in the face of the meter for five minutes and see if it moves.

If you need a rainsensor installed, you can do that to save water and also check your schedule. You should be 1 or 2 times a week, and your minutes should be reduce to fit this time of year. If you need more help, check out my web site.

www.sprinklerfix.com
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

steph01

Monday, December 27th 2010, 7:39pm

underground water leak

Piping to a sprinkler system are almost never run under the slab of a house. Unless, there is an addition to a house and a very poor caliber contractor is pouring the concrete. Usually, the sprinkler is put in after the hard boundaries are in like fences, slabs, pool, patio. Often when an addition is made the the property the irrigation system is modified to fit the new footprint. If you checked the meter correctly and there is no leak present that means that the only time you could have a leak is when the sprinklers are in operation. How long did you look at the meter? You should watch the small triangle in the face of the meter for five minutes and see if it moves.

If you need a rainsensor installed, you can do that to save water and also check your schedule. You should be 1 or 2 times a week, and your minutes should be reduce to fit this time of year. If you need more help, check out my web site.

www.sprinklerfix.com
Thanks for the information. After the holidays I will tackle the issue again. I've found that the Home owners assoc. sprinkler system just outside of my fence has an underground leak. They were not aware of the leak and were happy that I notified them. They will repair it. This will eliminate the excess water flowing from my property. I would like to contact you later to check my system for leaks and provide any recommendations. Thanks

debo

Saturday, January 8th 2011, 9:15pm

RE: Check a system for underground leak

in Houston, good luck with that... Been there...Water price are like at a "Bernie" Madoff" level..