You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Grassbody

Unregistered

Monday, December 27th 2010, 2:40pm

Can you wire two solenoid valves into one hot/signal wire?

I am wondering if it is possible to wire two solenoid valves onto one signal wire and one common wire? Here is the deal. I have two solenoid valves right next to each other, one is not working and the wire leading back to the control box is missing and rewiring from the valve to the control box is out of the question because it would involve going under or through some buildings. So, i was thinking that if i wired the signal wire from the working zone (zone 1), to one wire from each solenoid valve (valve 1 & 2), and then wired the common wire to one wire from each solenoid valve, that when i turned on say, zone 1, then it would open both valves at the same time, in turn they would now just operate as one zone. Will this work?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, December 27th 2010, 6:56pm

It will open both valves, yes. The chances of you having the proper water pressure is unlikely, since you would probably be doubling the amount of water running through the mainline. Try opening both valves to see if the pressure would be adequate to water the areas in question.

Another option is to use what is called a "Doubler". It is an electro-mechanical device that uses one zone wire to run two seperate zone valves seperately from one another. It was designed for your exact situation.

It is a cheaper option than trying to find and fix the broken wire, but is the last option I as a professional would use. First option would be to find and fix the break.

Dashaloff

Starting Member

Friday, January 14th 2011, 1:44pm

Two valves, one wire

The controller will run two valves at once but you will not have sufficient water supply. There is a component called an ADD-A-ZONE. This will let you run two valves from one wire. I have used the Doubler and the ADD-A-ZONE. The ADD-A-ZONE seems to last a lot longer. I have not had good luck with the doubler. The ADD-A-Zone is fairly simple to install and very dependable.

kosterirrigation

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 9:37am

Pretty much what everyone else is saying. Controller will run both valves electrically, but water pressure might be an issue.

You probably have a cut wire somewhere in your yard, or a bad wire splice.

You will need a Tempo (progressive 501) wire tracer and a 2003 Pulsar ground fault finder.

If i had no experience with these tools, I would pay someone to come find the break.

Alex A

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 2:07am

ADD-A-ZONE works like a charm.Got in on eBay for $90.