You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, January 18th 2011, 10:53am

Never seen this before! Please help!

I have an interesting development! I have an 8 valve system that had been working fine. Just recently, when valve #7 triggers, the water is flowing through to those sprinklers, but the system also tries to trigger at least 2 of the other valves, continuously, on/off, on/off every 2-3 seconds. This continues indefinitely...through the entire cycle of 7, and 8, and beyond. Even though the cycles have completed their run, the valves continue to try to trigger. The only way to stop this is by me shutting off the main water source. When I re-open it, everything is fine, but if I run the cycles again, the same pattern ensues.

Is this a plumbing issue? Bad valves? Or is it an electrical issue? I have had to shut off the entire system until I can resolve this, or else I am going to be wasting a lot of water!

Thank you for your thoughts!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 18th 2011, 3:42pm

Have you adjusted the flow control on valve #7?

Tuesday, January 18th 2011, 5:03pm

No...I have not made any adjustments on that valve. Is your thought that too much water pressure is trying to get through that valve, and I should adjust it down?

Update:

I wanted to do a test, so I manually turned on the #7 valve, and it did not trigger the other zones.

I then allowed the controller to run through the programs, and once again, it started to pulsate a couple of zones once zone 7 was activated. Interestingly, when I turned on my hose to water some potted plants, I could feel the pressure increase momentarily with each pulse as the other valves triggered.

Rolled up the hose, turned off water at the main...time for a drink.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dwkendgardner" (Jan 18th 2011, 7:35pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 19th 2011, 9:39am

Does the system have a master valve?

Wednesday, January 19th 2011, 10:21am

Not that I am aware of, no. What would I be looking for...visually, is it like one of the sprinkler valves? If so, then definitley not.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 19th 2011, 6:46pm

Just for grins, swap the zone 7 wire with the zone 8 wire on your controller.

Friday, January 21st 2011, 6:57pm

Swapped wires for zones 7 & 8 as suggested. When Zone 7 came on, it continued to trigger the other zones.

mrfixit

Saturday, January 22nd 2011, 1:46pm

Maybe it's not valve 7 but valve 6 when it shuts off causing the problem. Try running 6 manually for a minute then shut it off--

Are they anti-syphon valves?

Sunday, January 23rd 2011, 9:34pm

Yes, the valves I have are anti-syphon.

Good call...I ran zone 6 through the controller by itself, and when it turned off, indeed, the other zones did try to trigger. So now what? Do you think it is a bad valve(s)...I believe that 2 valves are tied into that same Zone 6 on the controller.

mrfixit

Sunday, January 23rd 2011, 9:48pm

I think you had it right when you asked if the zone is demanding too much water. You just stated you have two valves running on station 6. Possibly you can find two other zones that have less of a water demand and combine them or find a way to seperate the two valves. I've been able to cure the problem by installing anti-syphons that shut off slowly.

Use a brass Champion valve body with a Superior 800 valve adapter.

www.superiorcontrolsco.com/products/800series.html

www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Aqualine-Brass-Anti-Siphon-Valve-p/600.htm

You can get the 800 at Green Mark, Hydroscape, Ewing, John Deere.

P.S. Do NOT use the valve adapter sold by Orbit at the big box stores. It looks identical to the 800 but it is not. The Orbit is missing washers inside and the diaphragm leaks within a year. I installed 8 and had to replace or repair 7 of them. For free I may add.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jan 23rd 2011, 10:00pm)

Rate this thread