You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, February 12th 2011, 9:56am

Comes on with no power

System was on and running and not plug in. Two different zones and not all the heads for the two zones were on. Has anyone ever seen this before? Is it a big issue? Was it installed wrong? I have never heard of this before. I shut the stsytem off and the water stopped but it just seems weird. Thanks in adavance.

kosterirrigation

Saturday, February 12th 2011, 9:07pm

Could your valves have been activated manually. Meaning turned on by hand at the valve?

Sounds like this is whats going on.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 3:17am

Agreed- someone probably manually turned them on ( A physical turn on at the valve itself)

Or both valves are stuck on from debris.

Did you have any recent pipe repair work to the system? It's possible debris had gotten into the main line and now has gotten stuck in the valve.

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 12:51pm

No, thats not it

We still have snow on the ground and not all the heads were working. I know they can be turned on in the control box in the ground but you can't even see where they are.

kosterirrigation

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 1:30pm

Well if they werent turned on manually by hand, then the valves are somehow stuck open, either by debris or mechanical failure. (diaphragm hung open)

You will have to locate the valves and take them apart and more than likely replace the diaphragm and might as well replace the whole top end of the valve. (Solenoid, diaphragm & bonnett, screws, wire splices etc.)

If you dont have any experience locating valves you could be in for a good bit of time wasted.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 13th 2011, 1:31pm

Why do you have the irrigation system on with snow on the ground? If your part of the region doesn't winterize. At least physically shut the water off during the winter time and drain your back flow assembly.

Not all the sprinkler heads are coming on-
A) There is snow on the ground!!! Some of the sprinkler heads are probably frozen!

B) Because you have 2 zones on. The 2 zones on at the same time is asking for more demand of water then what the main line can supply.

If your controller is not plugged in then this eliminates the possibility of an electrical issue ( regarding this situation). Therefore only a physical condition is there. The only 2 physical condition is the valves are stuck on are they are manually turned on.

When you turn the main water supply off and then back on do they stay stuck on?

Your Next step is to locate these valves and take them apart

Friday, February 18th 2011, 2:09am

Update

It's 1:30 in the morning and 58 outside and was 75 today. Same zones went off again. I can understand trash in the head and making it come on but not 2 zones and multiple heads. Anymore thought on what this is?

Friday, February 18th 2011, 2:11am

Also

Sprinklers are still not plugged in and not set to come on. We don't really get cold enough to have to winterize however it was in the negitives last weeks. Oklahoma weather is crazy.

mrfixit

Friday, February 18th 2011, 11:28am

RE: Comes on with no power

System was on and running and not plug in. Two different zones and not all the heads for the two zones were on. Has anyone ever seen this before? Is it a big issue? Was it installed wrong? I have never heard of this before. I shut the stsytem off and the water stopped but it just seems weird. Thanks in adavance.

I have a couple questions for you.

1. You say you shut the system off. How did you do this?

2. You ask if it was installed wrong. Was something installed recently?

Friday, February 18th 2011, 1:55pm

RE: Comes on with no power

It was unplugged from the wall and still running.

The whole system is new.

Only thing I can think of is that it is some kind of electrical thing in the control box.

Rate this thread