You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Topher

Unregistered

Saturday, February 26th 2011, 6:07pm

Direct Burial 16ga wire connectors

What is the best direct burial (in this case - inside valve box) wire connectors for irrigation wire (16 ga)?

Twist on caps, heat shrink butt connectors, etc?

Thanks,

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, February 28th 2011, 12:11pm

I can't speak to "best", but I can say that the easiest are the twist on caps with the grease already inside them. But you have to look for them.

If you go to the irrigation section of your local big-box retailer, you will find kits for making irrigation wiring connections. But they are basically just twist caps that you then have to insert into a seperate grease filled cap (and those grease caps are relatively HUGE).

But at my local big-box retailer, I found some small blue colored grease filled twist caps near the electrical section. (Here we go, I found the DryConn connectors pictured here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5TA5E/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2).

I used the DryConn to create a water-proof connection, then wrapped the connections in electrical tape to ensure there wasn't any way the grease could ever be disturbed from wire movements. Mine have been in the ground for several years without a single problem.

While I used "DryConn", I would expect any quality waterproof connector to work as well if installed properly.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, February 28th 2011, 5:33pm

I would stay away from the DryConn connectors. It's been my experience that these connectors don't last as long as most. I would recommend an actual grease tube (DBY connector). I guarantee they will outlast any other part of your irrigation system. The Dryconns seem a bit cheap and wires tend to pull out easily when one is working on valves.