You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

GregM

Unregistered

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 9:20am

Imperial Timer Replacement

I have an old 6 station Imperial Timer controller (green box, orange panel, black dial). It recently stopped working on the automatic circuit and will only turn stations on manually. I would like to replace this with an affordable timer. I live in Texas and have 6 plasitc rainbird valves at my six stations. Can i simply buy one of the Toro 6 stations cheapo timer's at Lowe's or do i need something else to power this system? I'm clueless here so thanks for any help.

mrfixit

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 12:10pm

Yep no problems. Just unplug your Imperial before you start fiddling with the wiring. You could repair the Imperial but it'll cost way more than a cheapo Toro.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 3:43pm

(sheds a lone tear for another lost Imperial Valet) ;(

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 8:22pm

A Toast!

( Jeez don't you think a 20kb picture upload limit is a little small?!?!?!?)[attach]41[/attach]

mrfixit

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 9:10pm

njitgrad

Unregistered

Monday, May 9th 2011, 1:24pm

I am in the process of buying a home that has the same exact Imperial Valet timer. Should I consider replacing it for any reason. According to the owner it works fine. He is supposed to demonstrate it to me some time this week. Is there anything specific I should check for or ask? I've never owned a sprinkler system before so I'm unfamiliar with the terminology, how the system works, seasonal maintenance, etc.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 9:30pm

They are very hardy controllers.
They don't offer the effciency that today's controllers have.

But they do there job

njitgrad

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 29th 2011, 10:44am

follow-up

Well now that I own the house, I decided to try MANUAL mode today. I set Zones 1, 4, and 5 to run for 15 min and Zone 2, 3, and 6 for 0 min. I left the house at 730am (with Zone 1 on) and came back at 9am. Zone 1 was still on.

Does MANUAL mode really mean MANUAL mode where I have to turn the dial to the next zone? Or is it supposed to go to the next zone after the timer expires?

If I am to replace this caddy, what systems are the most compatible with my existing wiring? The Imperial is plugged into a regular 120V outlet and has two wires that exit the unit, through the garage wall, and disappear under the landscaping near the point where my water pipe exits the basement.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 29th 2011, 11:23am

Manual mode in the Imperial Valet turns the controller into a dial that doesn't move. The big wheel stays put. Keep the slide switch in the Automatic position, and you get your watering cycle.

Read the instructions printed on the controller.

njitgrad

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 29th 2011, 1:42pm

Manual mode in the Imperial Valet turns the controller into a dial that doesn't move. The big wheel stays put. Keep the slide switch in the Automatic position, and you get your watering cycle.

Read the instructions printed on the controller.
OK, I get it. But the thing is that I don't want to water the lawn on any preset schedule. I want to be able to decided on a daily basis if the lawn should be watered.

Rate this thread