You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

adam09

Starting Member

Tuesday, March 22nd 2011, 2:36pm

Placing spinklers around mailbox

I am trying to re-do part of my irrigation system that the previous homeowner installed. I have around 5 too many heads in the front yard. I want to put 3 in the front of the lawn - one in each corner and one in the middle.

The mailbox is about 2 - 3 feet from the driveway, and the typical distance from the street. I'd like to put one head in the corner of the driveway to cover the grass parallel to the driveway and also a flower bed lining the driveway. If I do this the mailbox will block the spray when the head rotates parallel to the road, even though it would only be a small strip. It seems like hitting the mailbox would lead to a waste of water and wouldn't cover part of the grass.

Should I just place the head in that corner farther back from the road than the others, or is there a better solution (other than canceling my mail :D )?

I'm sure this is a common problem, but I don't have any neighbors with an irrigation system to compare to.

I am also curious where I can find 6 - 8 inch spinkler heads. Will irrigation distributors typically sell to homeowners? I'm in Central Virginia if it matters.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 24th 2011, 7:41am

Are you in a contest for using the fewest number of heads? Obstacles make obvious the wisdom of not skimping on quantity. Every vertical obstacle has to be watered from at least two sprinklers.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 24th 2011, 10:06am

My solution was to have one head along the road PAST the mailbox, and another head along the driveway and just allow the two to overlap. However, to deal with the grass strip from the driveway to the mailbox, I years ago plowed that grass under and put a planting bed under the mailbox (I got tired of having to trim the grass around the post).

Rate this thread