You are not logged in.

joel323

Saturday, March 26th 2011, 8:47am

Problems with ground fault

I have a rainbird controller with hunter valves with 3 zones my system would work manually but not on automatic it would trip the ground fault every night when I plug it in to a non ground fault outlet it blew the internal fuse in the controller so I replaced the controller and that seem to fix it it works both manually and automatically but it still intermittently trips the ground fault but only at night when the system is not running I now have it plugged into a non ground fault plug and so far it has not tripped the internal reset I have checked the ground fault with other plug ins and it seems to be fine it has not tripped with anything else also I have a rain switch in the system but cannot see how that could cause the ground fault to trip anybody have any ideas

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 26th 2011, 9:07am

There could be a current leak to ground in the outdoor wiring. Do some resistance measuring, and fix any wiring faults, before other solutions are considered.

joel323

Saturday, March 26th 2011, 9:10am

would this happen even if the system was not operating

would this happen even if the system was not operating it never happens when the system is running just in the middle of the night I do not know much about it but I would have thought the outside wire would only carry current when the system was operating

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, March 27th 2011, 7:42am

You may even have to consider replacing the GFI the controller is powered from. Obviously, in the old days, sprinlker controllers might not have any connection to ground, so they never created worries about tripping GFIs

Rate this thread