You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Scully 7

Starting Member

Sunday, March 27th 2011, 4:48pm

back flow problem and question

I have a brass back flow valve on my system now it is 1 1/4 Wilkins #35 and it makes a very loud moaning or groaning noise. The systems doesn't work I am not getting any water to any of sprinklers just before the moaning problem happened when then system was switching zones it would back a loud banging noise then go to the next zone was all this contributed to the back flow valve not working properly?? Can us all the help I can get. i need to fix this we are in a drought and am losing my grass.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, March 27th 2011, 5:10pm

Check the handle's to ensure they are both fully in the open position... Check prior to your back flow assembly ( possibly in a different location) to make sure there aren't any other shut offs that are only partially on.

It's possible you have hard water and one of the checks of seized up and is prevent water flow, you can take it apart and check the internal parts. Go through the manual of your assembly before you take it apart... I don't know where you live, but where I live only a licensed back flow tester are allowed to take apart back flow assemblies. So may you need to get a company out here and check this out for you

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 8:51am

There are no handles on a Wilkins 35 - It is an atmospheric vacuum breaker

-

Unless you have a one-zone sprinkler system, you have no actual backflow protection. AVBs are usually masquerading as Pressure Vacuum Breakers. AVBs do not function in the same way as do PVBs, and they don't work when they are subjected to continuous water pressure.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 7:41pm

Thanks for the correction old timer. I thought he meant a 350

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 2:11pm

Thanks for the correction old timer. I thought he meant a 350
pardon me while I take my Geritol :rolleyes:

Rate this thread