You are not logged in.

Tolu

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 9:19am

Please help with FEBCO vacuum breaker!!

Guys,

I'm very new to plumbing and i was hoping you can help me out with suggestions. My pipe busted i think due to a freeze so now I need to fix it. The pictures are shown below.

My question is:

Do you think I can replace this myself? Remember I'm brand new but I'm willing to do the work required. I just want to know the complexity of the job and if you'll advice that I tackle it myself or if I should get a pro.
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 2:09pm

If you had the experience needed to handle the job, you wouldn't ask the question.

Tolu

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 3:11pm

Obviously but that's not the point, is it?

I'm asking because I'm not experienced and I need an advice to either try and tackle it or hire a professional.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 7:53pm

You may want to have a company come do this for you to save some time..
I could do this repair in 15 min or less.. Then while waiting for the glue to dry to test get the rest cleaned up

Purchase a Febco #2 Shut off Handle

1- Take the downstream mounting bracket off, un-wrap the foam.

2- If it's PVC- Pick up a 1" Male adapter ( Slip female by thread male ( Mipt) and a 1" Slip/slip Coupler- a 2' stick of 1" Sched 40 PVC Pvc Glue and primer
If it's copper. Pick up the same parts but in copper ( besure to get a repair coupler) 2' stick of 1" Copper.

3- Cut near 1.5' down below the cracked handle, then cut 6" above where you just cut.

4- With 2 18" pipe wrenches ( one for opposing force) - Spin off the old shut off handle

5- Install the male adapter with at minimum teflon tape onto the threads, Re-teflon the threads of the assembly

6- Install new handle onto assembly, prime and glue coupler onto the downstream pipe leading into the ground.

7- Take your 2 foot stick and cut it exactly to size. Prime and glue ( Both the male and female sides) of the pipe and slide it into the Male adapter that's screwed into the shut off handle.

8- Unscrew the inlet mounting bracket - This will give you the play you need to pull back the assembly to prime/glue the last joint in.

9- Re-mount brackets. Try to drain your PVB next season.

Tolu

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 10:54am

Thanks a lot Mitchgo!! That really helps. Puts everything in perspective!

debo

Thursday, April 7th 2011, 6:01pm

Thanks a lot Mitchgo!! That really helps. Puts everything in perspective!
Sure you can. About $75 dollars and about 45 minutes...done. For get repairing the valve, buy a new one and install it.

Rate this thread