You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tolu

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 9:19am

Please help with FEBCO vacuum breaker!!

Guys,

I'm very new to plumbing and i was hoping you can help me out with suggestions. My pipe busted i think due to a freeze so now I need to fix it. The pictures are shown below.

My question is:

Do you think I can replace this myself? Remember I'm brand new but I'm willing to do the work required. I just want to know the complexity of the job and if you'll advice that I tackle it myself or if I should get a pro.
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 2:09pm

If you had the experience needed to handle the job, you wouldn't ask the question.

Tolu

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 3:11pm

Obviously but that's not the point, is it?

I'm asking because I'm not experienced and I need an advice to either try and tackle it or hire a professional.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 7:53pm

You may want to have a company come do this for you to save some time..
I could do this repair in 15 min or less.. Then while waiting for the glue to dry to test get the rest cleaned up

Purchase a Febco #2 Shut off Handle

1- Take the downstream mounting bracket off, un-wrap the foam.

2- If it's PVC- Pick up a 1" Male adapter ( Slip female by thread male ( Mipt) and a 1" Slip/slip Coupler- a 2' stick of 1" Sched 40 PVC Pvc Glue and primer
If it's copper. Pick up the same parts but in copper ( besure to get a repair coupler) 2' stick of 1" Copper.

3- Cut near 1.5' down below the cracked handle, then cut 6" above where you just cut.

4- With 2 18" pipe wrenches ( one for opposing force) - Spin off the old shut off handle

5- Install the male adapter with at minimum teflon tape onto the threads, Re-teflon the threads of the assembly

6- Install new handle onto assembly, prime and glue coupler onto the downstream pipe leading into the ground.

7- Take your 2 foot stick and cut it exactly to size. Prime and glue ( Both the male and female sides) of the pipe and slide it into the Male adapter that's screwed into the shut off handle.

8- Unscrew the inlet mounting bracket - This will give you the play you need to pull back the assembly to prime/glue the last joint in.

9- Re-mount brackets. Try to drain your PVB next season.

Tolu

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 10:54am

Thanks a lot Mitchgo!! That really helps. Puts everything in perspective!

debo

Thursday, April 7th 2011, 6:01pm

Thanks a lot Mitchgo!! That really helps. Puts everything in perspective!
Sure you can. About $75 dollars and about 45 minutes...done. For get repairing the valve, buy a new one and install it.

Rate this thread