You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TCSM

Unregistered

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 8:51am

Design Rules of thumb?

I have a 2 hp pump and need to run sprinkler lines. Are there any 'rules of thumb' when figuring out what size PVC to run. For example, should I run it in 3/4" then after so many heads reduce to 1/2"?

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 9:52am

No simple answer - some 2 HP pumps will move over 60 gallons per minute. That would call for 2-inch pipe at a minimum. Even larger, if it had to travel any great distance.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 16th 2011, 12:38pm

Reducing pipe size as the zone goes farther and farther is purely a cost saving stand point- as long as it's designed correctly. The bigger the pipe, the less friction loss you get

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, April 18th 2011, 12:42pm

I would suggest reading www.irrigationtutorials.com ... It's a lot to digest, but it's all the basics you need to understand if you want to install your own irrigation system.

As for rules of thumb, one I can point out from the tutorial... 1/2" pvc pipe has no place in irrigation. (1/2 would only be used for swing joints, funny pipe, or drip irrigation pipe).

tgibson

Starting Member

Friday, April 29th 2011, 2:00pm

need to find sprinkler heads

I have 1.53 acres and on my septic system we are supposed to have 3 sprinklers in our back yard. I have on sprinkler that is broke and i need to fix it but once i fix it im afraid that since the other two are buried im pretty sure that it will break the other two. So i wa wondering how far apart are the sprinkler heads supposed to be apart?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 11:49am

RE: need to find sprinkler heads

I have 1.53 acres and on my septic system we are supposed to have 3 sprinklers in our back yard. I have on sprinkler that is broke and i need to fix it but once i fix it im afraid that since the other two are buried im pretty sure that it will break the other two. So i wa wondering how far apart are the sprinkler heads supposed to be apart?

Sprinkler heads are supposed to be installed with what is known a "head-to-head" coverage.

Sprinkler heads do not throw equal amounts of water everywhere. While the water might be falling at a rate of 2"/hour 6 feet away from the head, it might be falling at a rate of 6"/hour 10 feet away from the head (I'm making numbers up, but you get the point). So to balance these differences out, each sprinkler head should spray to the next sprinkler head so that every spot in the yard is getting hit by at least two heads.

So if you have a yard that is 30' x 45', and you are using heads that can spray out to 15', then you should have 3 rows and 4 columns of spray heads, all 15' apart from one another to create an even watering pattern.

Rate this thread