You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

donachile

Unregistered

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 4:38pm

Rainbird esp 6si Controller not operating valves

I had to unplug my Rainbird esp 6si Controller this winter. Since I plugged it back in the controller seems to be working fine but it isn't communicating to the valves. The valves all work manually and the controller timers all work when I test them. I changed the battery and the fuses and checked all the wiring. What should I do next?

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 17th 2011, 7:52pm

Sounds like a broken common wire or a rain sensor issue. Do you have a rain sensor installed?

donachile

Monday, April 18th 2011, 1:01am

Rainbird esp 6si Controller not operating valves

I don't know what a rain sensor is. It has rained so much this year since I unplugged the controller. I have checked all the wires and they seem to be OK. the line from the controller to the valves is intact and I have cleaned and reconnected each wire to the valves. Can you tell me about the rain sensor?
Thanks so much..
Donna

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, April 18th 2011, 1:28am

Do you have This anywhere in your yard/ fence/ rain gutter?

Do you have a bypass next to your controller?

donachile

Monday, April 18th 2011, 12:04pm

Mitch,
I don't have either one of those things. I am just trying to figure out how to fix this before I call the installer. This was installed 7 years ago. The wire cable is quite long and under the house, so we even checked that connection and it seems to be fine..

mrfixit

Tuesday, April 19th 2011, 2:50am

Are you sure the timer has power from the outlet? Try plugging something else into the socket and see if it works. Do you lose the display if you take the battery out? You might have to leave it out for a few minutes.

Is the transformer warm or cold to the touch? Cold it's dead.

If you have power it sounds like a ground wire like Mitch said. Double check the ground wire at the timer.

donachile

Tuesday, April 19th 2011, 6:11pm

So, it turns out it was the ground wire at the valves. Something had fallen on them and separated the ground from the rest of the wires. Works perfectly! Thank you for all your help!
Donna

Rate this thread