You are not logged in.

marshaleb

Starting Member

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 9:35am

Hose end: sprinkler with a flat low spray. Help!

I have several low-growing (6 feet up) live oak trees, and need a sprinkler that I can use underneath them to water the grass. The problem is the large number of ball moss that love oak trees. I have discoverd that they multiply rapidly if they are watered, as with a normal sprinkler. They have caused a lot of damage, now i am determined to find a sprinkler that sprays flat or low to the ground inspead of the common impulse sprinkler that has a rise of 8-10 feet, thus watering my problem moss. Removing the moss is not the answer, done that, and treated the remaining moss. I think a spray that hits the leaves will spread higher in the tree, feeding the baby moss and moss that is 20-30 feet up with fine "incidental moisture." Please help, I remember seeing a sprinkler like this years ago. thanks so much! :?: :!: ;(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 12:18pm

You won't easily find hose-end sprinklers for low-angle watering, but you can take any popup rotor or shrub rotor and fit it with a low angle nozzle, and set it up for hose-end service.

mrfixit

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 1:06pm

Hi, I'm not an oak expert. I do live in a city however that has a beautiful showcase street lined with old oaks. The past few years some of them have been dying off. They've determined it was due to people watering their grass which grew right up to the tree. The city now requires no watering around the tree for a few feet. I don't know the exact distance.

The problem seems to be under control now. I live in California. Your oaks might be used to a totally different climate. Like I said I'm not an oak expert. I suggest you read up on how to keep your oaks alive.

Here's one link I was reading.

www.cnr.berkeley.edu/comtf/html/maintaining__oak_tree_health.html

Friday, April 22nd 2011, 5:29pm

Lower-to-the-ground sprinklers

It is difficult to find lawn sprinklers that attach to a hose that are lower to the ground. You may want to consider a dripping irrigation system for that area to keep the moss growth down.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, June 13th 2011, 2:26pm

I know this is an old post now, but if the OP never found something yet, or someone is looking for the same thing, I made this out of a replacement sprinkler stake, 1/2" male to 3/4" male copper coupling, and an Orbit sprinkler head. Total cost, $20. I put a low angle nozzle in (out of picture, I have a reg. Hunter nozzle in there) that came with the head in a nozzle rack. Works great, sprays only 2-3 ft. off the ground, and shoots out about 25-30 ft. depending on the pressure.

I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Rate this thread