You are not logged in.

Teetime

Starting Member

Monday, April 25th 2011, 10:01pm

Submersible pump practical for large yards with Rotors

Hi,
I have about an acre of grass that I'll be watering with around 4 to 6 rotors per zone. Probably around 4gpm per head. I had someone tell me that the only way to go with wells is a submersible pump. You dont' have to worry about covering them, winterizing them, and less maintanance with them overall.
After spending some time researching submersible, its seems that most of these are around 10gpm to 14. I cannot find anything as high as some of the external lawn sprinkler pumps.
So the question is, can a submersible run a sprinkler system in large yards with the requirements that I'm needing?
Thanks for any feedback...

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 26th 2011, 12:11am

Sorry bud, it won't work.

How deep is the well?

As well as the volume of water, you need to take in account of pressure and pressure loss.

Is your well already tied into a pressurized tank for your house? or is this well going to be for irrigation only?

Most setups are this

Submersible pump> pump into a 500 gal/ 1000/ gal tank.> On the surface level a 1HP sprinkler pump or jet pump to supply the irrigation system from the tank

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 26th 2011, 9:26am

Depending on your location, you might get by with a 10-14 gpm well for an acre. A dedicated well doesn't have to share with the house, and you can expand your watering time window.

-

You can always drill a well deeper, or sometimes even wider (larger diameter casing) and make use of the water in the well as storage you will draw down during watering, letting it recharge between cycles.

Rate this thread