You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

markberthold

Starting Member

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 11:40am

Valve Doesn't Open--Possible Break/Nick in Wire

I had someone install a new valve and it is getting only about 17 ohms to the valve from the control box--not enough electrical current to open the valve. The gentleman said there is probably a nick or previous break in the wire that was repaired. I did have some landscaping work around where the wire passes thru. The question is: is there a way I can personally detect the break in the wire and hopefully repair it without hiring a professional...some Radio Shack item?

Thanks

mrfixit

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 4:43pm

There's something fishy here. Ohms and current are not the same thing. A bad splice would give you a high reading not a low reading. Ohms is resistance. A bad splice would give you more resistance.

Double check your readings. Ohms, Amps, Volts.

Also test the solenoid itself. Could be a defect.

Before you spend all that time looking for a bad splice I'd confirm there is a bad wire.

If you have a valve right next to the new one switch the wires around and see what happens.