You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, September 17th 2003, 8:03am

Size of Compressor for WInterizing?

Can someone tell me what size compressor I will need as a good starter for winterizing residential systems?

Most of the systems I maintain at the moment habe up to 8 rotors on a single zone.

Gallons?
CFM's?
Brands?

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 17th 2003, 10:38am

It should have at least 3 Hp......gallons ummm........i guess 3 or more.....im not too sure about little compressors...we have big trailored compressors that allow you to winte4rize and entire system at once.

Ill find out for you
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, September 17th 2003, 4:11pm

Ray, Defintely check into it for me. I'm looking into getting a 15-30 gallon tank size. But Im wondering what people are using out thear. Even the HP is something I dont want to go overkill if I dont need to.

Paul

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 17th 2003, 4:45pm

No problem i will ask around for you AsAP
Thanks
Ray

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 17th 2003, 5:11pm

I blow out my system with a campbell hausfeld pancake compressor. I can not remember how many gal it is but I think 5 gal tops. My zones are 8 heads per zone. The only disadvantage is my compressor completely decompresses after each zone.
Thanks,

Pete

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 18th 2003, 4:11pm

yea thats a common problem with smalll compressors you should have them fill again after each zone....i put a call into a friend who uses his own compressor and ill let you know when he lets me know!
Thanks
Ray

lgnguyen

Sunday, October 12th 2003, 8:28am

I have bought a electric Craftman compressor: 26 gal, 6HP, 8.6 CFPM at 40 lbs. belt-drive engine (cooler than direct-drive). The whole process went very smooth for the non-stop 7 zones at 2 min each. Starting with the full tank, but the compressor have turned on before the 2nd zone but the air still reasonable cool until the end. I think any tank smaller than this tank may not be able to do the whole process. It took al least a mininute to build up the pressure before the sprinkler head pop up and it may be a half empty tank already. I am personaly not the Crafman product fan but I could not find any compressor for high air volume, medium size and belt-drive machine. It is not onsale for $387.
Hope this help.

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 7:44am

We use at least 90 cfm or higher compressor. Less than this you probably won't get as much water out of your system as you want. We actually use a 185 cfm Ingersoll rand trailer mounted compressor. But we have to tone it down a bit so we don't blow the sprinklers out of the ground. That can get kind of exciting.
Bhungue2

Rate this thread