You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

John Wig

Unregistered

Monday, May 2nd 2011, 8:07pm

"Fuse" warniong on two zones

I have two wires going to one zone. On that zone, when I turn it on by the controller...it reads FUSE and shuts down. If I remove one wire it works fine. If I remove just the other wire it works fine. Only when I have both together do I get the FUSE reading. I have other zones with two wires that work fine. What should I test for? How can I solve this?? Any ideas. It is a Toro controller

John Wig

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 2:09am

Figure out which valve is supposed to be coming on when the fuse is blown. Disconnect one wire from the solenoid of that valve. Go back and turn that valve on again at the controller. If it blows the fuse you have crossed wires. If it doesn't you have a bad solenoid. This way you don't need a multimeter and you don't have to figure out how to use it.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 6:51am

Better to own a multimeter and to know how to use it.

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 12:39pm

Why make a homeowner go out and buy a multimeter when it's a simple diagnosis.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 1:45pm

I get a kickback, what else? :P

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 2:46pm

I KNEW IT!

John Wig

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 3:08pm

Clarification

Guys,

I know how to use a multimeter. It's not hard and I have a good one. What should I be looking for for ohms and volts.....? I would rather do that than undo good connections, if I can test at the box.

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 4:17pm

Once you find which valve it is you're going to have to undo the connection to test the solenoid just like I suggested. I'll let Boots tell you how to test using your meter.

John Wig

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 6:31pm

OK.....Boots....

I just replaced all my selonoids in the system as they were like 15 yrs old. I rewired and put new waterproof wire nuts. So, go ahead boots...what should I be looking for with the multimeter???

JW

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 4th 2011, 11:54am

You already measured the resistance of a brand-new solenoid (didn't you?) so you can disconnect the common wire from the controller, and start taking resistance measurements of the individual zones. Faulty wiring should show up here.

-

Even more advanced, is to set the multimeter to AC current, and connect one lead to the controller common, and the other lead to the (already removed) system common. Current readings tell you the most, as the system will operate as normally, and intermittent problems can make themselves known, as solenoids heat up.

Rate this thread