You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

elnino

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 11:06am

Two Zones always spraying water simultaneously after startup even without controller

Last year I had a contractor install a new sprinkler system for my lawn. Before winter it was professionally shutoff.
Now in spring I am trying to turn it back ON by myself. I have been successful in turning the PVB ON with this forum's help.

As soon as water started flowing to the control valves.....two zones started spraying right away simultaneously. The main controller is not even ON.

I then tried turning ON the controller to control these zones but they continue to spray no matter what.

I am assuming that during shutoff these zones were manually left open on purpose.

I looked at the control valve box (I have posted photo of the control valve box below.)

I have 100DVB rainbird valves.

For 4 of the 5 valves, I turned the handles on them from ON to OFF position.
The fifth one did not have a handle, So I could not turn it.

Anyways...still 2 zones are always spraying when water is released to the system.

How do I stop these zones and let the controller control it?

(Photo hosted in ImageShack)

Please help!!

mrfixit

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 12:10pm

Just move the handle. They pull right off. Or use a pair of channel locks to tighten the solenoid. Don't over do it. Just make sure they're off and not leaking.

I see water in the box. Where is that coming from?

elnino

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 12:41pm

I will check again to make sure the handle has been turned all the way.
It is just rain water in the box. It has been raining for the past couple of days here.

I checked the manual for DV series valve and it says bleed screws could also be used to
turn a valve ON or OFF manually. Should I give it a try??

Here is the manual (See Page 6): http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/man_DV_DVF.pdf
Just move the handle. They pull right off. Or use a pair of channel locks to tighten the solenoid. Don't over do it. Just make sure they're off and not leaking.

I see water in the box. Where is that coming from?

mrfixit

Thursday, May 5th 2011, 1:57pm

There could be air in the valve. Go ahead and turn them on then off with the bleeder screw.

If you ever need to repair those valves I'd buy a whole new valve with a flow control and swap out bonnets.

elnino

Friday, May 6th 2011, 9:09am

I was finally able to fix it!! The bleed screws on zone 1 & 2 valves were not tightened after the winter blowout. I tightened them and everything started working fine. Thanks!

Rate this thread