You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 3:42pm

Valve will Not open

All but one zone is working correctly. The Superior Brand brass valve will not come on. The solenoid is new and works normally on the valve next to the one that will not come on. The Top of the valve is brand new. I replaced it. The plunger rubber is new. New diaphragm. Here is the problem. The valve will open with the bleeder screw and close with the bleeder screw. The valve has water supply. All of the basics are covered. Again, the controller works when I swap the solenoid to the next valve. It triggers just fine on the next valve. The only thing the valve will do is turn off the valve after I manually turn it on with the bleeder screw. Plenty of pressure. Actually lots of it. I have it regulated and can control it at the pressure relief valve or at the valve itself. As I mentioned already the solenoid will operate the adjacent valve when I swap it. The ports are all clear. No sand or clogs. Air blow through just fine. The home is on a hillside. All was working fine until I decided to fix the valve that was leaking. Please help

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 6:13pm

Try another solenoid.

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 7:00pm

Done

Have tried 3 new solenoids. They work on all valves but this one.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 8:10pm

Probe the water passages in the body of the valve, and you may find a blockage.

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 9:27pm

Probe?

The body has a small hole that the solenoid sits over. It is clear. No obstructions there. Is there something that could be preventing the solenoid from lifting while the system is under pressure. When testing it I can see it will pull the spring loaded plug into the stem. Yet I think it may not be doing so when the water pressure is added to the equation....

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 9:28pm

Probe?

The body has a small hole that the solenoid sits over. It is clear. No obstructions there. Is there something that could be preventing the solenoid from lifting while the system is under pressure. When testing it I can see it will pull the spring loaded plug into the stem. Yet I think it may not be doing so when the water pressure is added to the equation....

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 10th 2011, 9:43pm

Change the bottom half of the valve as well. Problem solved.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 7:25am

A simple experiment - remove the plunger from the solenoid assembly

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 2:23pm

Here is the solution

Guys. Thank you for your suggestions. None of them worked although it helped me get to the answer. When I adjusted the pressure regulating valve I have on the line, the valve began to work. There was too much pressure on the line. I reduced it to about 40 psi and it started to work just fine. Something that might help others to know. I just happen to have too much pressure and I put in a regulator some time ago. Maybe there was some dirt in the line or some valve hole that unplugged and changed the pressure or volume of water. Anyway that is the solution to keep in mind. Any questions anyone has they can email me at eddielopez2114@yahoo.com

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 7:46pm

A superior brass inline valve is rated up to 200 lbs of pressure... I'm predicting your fix is a fluke and temporary...

Rate this thread