You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ratmriot

Starting Member

Thursday, May 12th 2011, 3:34pm

New (small) system being run from a hose bib line.

Hello all,

I am considering running a pvc sprinkler system from my hose bib line in my front yard. The system will have approx. 100 feet of pvc total, two separate lines w/ separate valves. That would be 50 feet for each side of my small front yard. I have read previous posts and noise and pressure loss should not be an issue. Since it will be a manual system, I won't be bothered by the sound of running water as I can decided when to run it. My only issues are: 1) How should I tap into the bib pipe? What type of setup should I run? 2) I recently dug up the very old, 35ish year old steel pipe system in my front yard. The valves still work but the pipes are very rusted. Should I have a plumber re-plumb off of those valves with pvc, or just tap into the bib? Also, my water meter is in my backyard,not in the front. Water pressure measured at bib is 65 lbs.

-Thanks for all help!-
ratmriot@hotmail.com

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2011, 5:17pm

The biggest issue with tapping into a hose bibb line is that it is most likely a 1/2" copper pipe. The latest building codes indicate that water shouldn't flow any faster than 5 fps. With a 1/2 copper line for a source, that is going to limit you to a paltry 3GPM.

And personally, I suggest that you go ahead and do the little extra work and expense to install valves, wire, and a controller. It's not that much more and you can then have the whole thing automated.

Rate this thread