You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Thursday, May 12th 2011, 8:01pm

How did I do??

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum. But Ithought I'd upload this so others can see examples, and people could get some ideas.)

I installed this system on my own. Let me know how I did. It took me a while to complete and adjust. The only thing we may do is get a regular hookup for the system in the future (ex. dedicated copper pipe). For now, it works well with a VERRRRYYYYY slow drip between the copper and plastic fitting. :thumbup:

Hunter PGP ultra heads.
Orbit Saturn III.
Toro PVB.
550 feet of hand digging.
3/4" PVC mainline.
6 zones (1 blank)
Orbit remote control timer 6 zone

3/4" poly laterals
Copper 1/2" feed from house
2 NDS valve boxes
2 full weekends of your time!!

(Copy & Paste link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF4aVgOMJmY
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 12th 2011, 9:16pm

Link doesn't work for me. :(

seansy59

Advanced Member

Thursday, May 12th 2011, 9:30pm

The link won't work. You have to copy and paste it into the browser URL. :)

If that still does'nt work, than Im not sure..... ?(
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2011, 12:08am

Not too bad for a homeowner! Good job bud!

As a professional, of course I see many errors. As well as many things I wouldn't do how you did.

But overall for a homeowner you did a decent job

The biggest thing as far as the design goes I can see is that you don't have head to head coverage. With out head to head coverage you have poor uniformity, ultimately requiring you to use more water to irrigate the same area to keep it green through out the dry months.

A decent design is to have grass ( a single square foot) be covered by at least 3 sprinkler heads ( Head to head, back to back ). Sometimes this isn't always necessary given the microclimate, but it ensures at least 80% uniformity. Right now you probably have 40-50% uniformity.

Personally I'm a detailed person, I congratulate you for your install and hard work you put into it. Other then the valve boxes being just about perfect , and the manifolds being pretty good too . I don't see too much attention to detail elsewhere.. Thats just me being nit picky though..

Keep up the good work!

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2011, 4:47pm

I recently did my own system so can appreciate the hard work you put in. Job looks very good to me. Valve boxes perfectly level with the dirt, trenches filled back in well. If you have dry spots then you can always add heads in the future. And congratulations on only a two weekend job.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Saturday, May 14th 2011, 12:04pm

Mitchgo: Thanks! Yeah, it was pretty hard. But 2 weekends is a good goal I set, I worked from early AM to late PM with worklights. I tried getting "head to head coverage", which was a success in the backlawn, but was impossible in the front. There are large oak and pine tree roots all over. I was going to put sprinklers on the outside perimeter all the way around, and put a row down the center of the lawn, but could'nt dig near the outside. So, I just centered a row down the middle the best I could. I might have to water it a few extra minutes, but....it works

Long story short: I had 2 sprinklers covering the whole front yard before, it was a simple garden hose connected to the faucet, and it was pretty green for that. Yes yes, sprinkler heads buried with garden hoses, no timer. It's long gone

though :D

I usually have to have everything "detailed" and "perfect" too. Or atleast I try. I was more worried about the boxes being level so the main line would'nt crack or break since its always pressurized. The second box manifold is a little crooked, but its watertight and strong that counts, not the way it looks underground.

wsommariva: Yes! It was alot of work, and alot of digging! But it will hopefully serve me well for many, many years. We can only get 3 heads per zone, since we have very poor pressure (only 45 psi) ( 5-GPM if were lucky) no joke!

2 weekends were my goal, and it was accomplished! :)

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 14th 2011, 2:13pm

Did you use teflon tape on that fitting that leaks? I also have two slow drips. Always afraid to tighten too much.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Saturday, May 14th 2011, 9:29pm

Yeah, I used teflon tape. It was a very loose plastic to copper fit. Really, the way I did it with those shallow threads, is why its leaking. Sometime this summer we'll get a "real" plumber to come in and put a line coming off of 1/2" copper main for the well pump.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 15th 2011, 1:12pm

Yeah, I used teflon tape. It was a very loose plastic to copper fit. Really, the way I did it with those shallow threads, is why its leaking. Sometime this summer we'll get a "real" plumber to come in and put a line coming off of 1/2" copper main for the well pump.

more photos, please :thumbsup:

seansy59

Advanced Member

Sunday, May 15th 2011, 4:56pm

Here ya go! Pictures ahead!

Rate this thread