You are not logged in.

MiamiMan

Unregistered

Sunday, May 22nd 2011, 9:18am

Best way to water hedges along fence?

I have the grass area of my yard covered with impact sprinklers. I am using a pump hooked up to a well.

I have a hedge that runs along my fence line, I would like to water them without spraying water into the neighbors yard. What would be the best option here? Is it possible to have a hybrid system with drip tubes that run along the hedge? Just a thought. If anyone can help me out with the options, it would be appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 22nd 2011, 10:58am

Drip on a well might become high-maintenance, so maybe a zone or two of bubblers or strip sprays could work.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 22nd 2011, 11:19pm

Generally speaking, there is no reason why you can't add a drip irrigation station to an irrigation system. I know rainbird even makes valve kits that include a low-flow valve, pressure regulator, and filter. You just run PVC (I recommend 3/4") underground to the planting bed to be watered. Then for durability, I like to transition from underground to above ground with 1/2" copper, then to drip tubing.

However, Wet_Boots is more of an expert than me, so I'll defer to his judgement.

Based on what I know about irrigation, I can only make the educated guess that the reason for Boot's comment is that a well system is more likely to contain "stuff" that has to be filtered out, and the "maintainence" is constantly cleaning the filters (because drip irrigation requires very fine filtration).

There is different types of drip irrigation, as there are small sprays that throw water in 2' to 5' circles that don't need as fine a filtration as drip emmitters. But again, I'll defer to Boot's experince over my limited knowledge.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 22nd 2011, 11:43pm

Netafim is absolutely the best for a hedge line. Install a filter / pressure regulator at the valve. And a flush cap at the end of your lines. Or loop your lines and tee off for your flush cap

A Well system should have a In series filter at the pump/ start of your irrigation system too

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 22nd 2011, 11:45pm

However

The purpose of drip is water conservation..

With a well system ( Unless your being charge for usage on your well) Water conservation is not AS important.

If not the netafim I suggest a Side strip spray zone like boots says

Rate this thread