You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

MiamiMan

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 25th 2011, 4:01pm

Going under a driveway

Hello all,

I have a half circle driveway that sections off a piece of the yard that I need to get to. I know about using a hose nozzle to bore under the driveway. My question is should I run the full size line under for three sprayers? I have 1-1/2" pipe. Can I run 1" instead? I'm thinking, the smaller the pipe the easier it will be.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 25th 2011, 5:53pm

Concrete driveway?

MiamiMan

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 25th 2011, 8:54pm

Yes, concrete. Around 10' wide where I need to go under.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 25th 2011, 9:52pm

For a resi on a circle driveway. 1" is fine.

However I recommend to do a flow test on your largest consumption zone by using your water meter to get an idea of how much water the system can handle

Are you sure 3 heads will cut it?

It's best to have Head to Head coverage back to back - every sprinkler head spray touching the next spray side to side and front to back. This of course depends on the situation

mrfixit

Thursday, May 26th 2011, 4:19am

Wouldn't 3/4 inch work? It'd be a lot easier to get under the driveway.

I use about 4 feet of galvanized pipe attached to the nozzle then pvc there after. It keeps the pipe in a straight line. It comes out exactly where you aim it.

Good luck!

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 26th 2011, 8:58am

What kind of soil do you have? It can make the difference between this being an easy job, and a pain in the rear job. You can review the details of the pains I went through dealing with rock-filled clay here: Tunnel Under Driveway

The thing I found to be the relatively easy way to accomplish going under something was to construct a pilot hole with a piece of rebar and sledge hammer. Then I used 3/4" black pipe tipped with a bell reducer 3/4" to 1/2" transition) tipped with a nipple. I then hammered that along the pilot hole. The pilot hole also helps if you need to use a hose or pressure washer to power through.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, May 27th 2011, 12:14am

We just mole it over..

It's like an underground jackhammer.

MiamiMan

Unregistered

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 12:03pm

Wouldn't 3/4 inch work? It'd be a lot easier to get under the driveway.
Can I reduce from 1-1/2" to 3/4" without problem? If so, I'll do that.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 1:24pm

Sure you can

As long as you design it properly

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 10:10pm

I don't see any reason why you would want to constrict yourself to 3/4". If you can make a hole big enough to slide a 3/4" piece of pipe through, then you can make the hole bigger to accept a larger pipe. Just use some black pipe and black pipe fitting (along with a sledge hammer) and make the hole bigger. The bell shape of 1/2" to 3/4" with a nipple on the front of it makes for a pretty good arrow point to force through the hole. From experience, I know that a black pipe 3/4" fitting is perfect for 1" copper pipe.

Rate this thread