You are not logged in.

Artiste51

Starting Member

Friday, May 27th 2011, 11:33am

New Heads but dry spot in the middle

Help, I had 2 Rainbird T-40's rotors. I was having trouble setting the watering angle. So, I got 2 Rainbird 5000's and replaced them. but, now right in the middle between the 2 new rotors I have a dry spot. The sprays over lap each other. I tried every sprayer nozzle given me and cannot get enough water to fall in that spot (it's about 8 ft circlular). I see other lawn systems that look like walls of water falling from the sprayers, but mine just seem to spray out about 25-30 feet without dropping a lot of water between the spray heads and the end of the spray. We have ample water pressure. Is there an adustment or different nozzles I can get. (We're on West Rd near the Tollway)

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, May 27th 2011, 9:16pm

Tough to say with out seeing it.

Sounds like the design is off.. Your saying the sprays are over lapping eachother, are the sprays hitting the next head inline?

A proper design of a system is to have head to head coverage front and back ( Meaning each spray is touching the next sprinkler head in line. Ultimately every blade of grass is getting hit by 3-4 different sprinkler heads. This design reaches close to 85% Distribution Uniformity.

It could also be your run time.. Depending on design an average residential rotor zone can run 15-45min.

It could also be soil amendments.. Bad soil will give you bad grass..

bob24

Starting Member

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 11:40am

MIne is dry in spot too. I know what is wrong but .......

I know my dry spot is a result of a head that is not vertical. It is coming out of the ground at angle so it overshoots the dry area. I'm not sure how to fix it without breaking it off (dig it up and push it to a vertical position?). Anyone know how to fix this (I have a couple of other crooked ones also).

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 16th 2011, 12:52pm

Unless it's plumbed directly into the piping , you should be able to dig it up and re-straighten the sprinkler head. Give it a try

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Monday, July 18th 2011, 7:11pm

make sure that you knick the stream a little bit so that the water is evenly dispersed from head to end of stream. unless you have incredible pressure you should do this to all your heads. Just take your key and tighten the screw right above the nozzle. just turn it clockwise until it Just touches the stream and you will see alot more water in the middle of the stream. not necessary if its just the angle of the head causing spot
proper head orientation is crucial too, heads spraying strait up almost do almost nothing but waste water on one side,and spray 7 ft on the other. give it a quick straighten youl probably be good,if you have good pressure,increase the nozzle size a bit until it greens back up,or forever doesnt matter to much, technically it does but it really doesnt lol. a 2.7 gpm to 3.4 isnt the end of the world, but it will green up your dry spot.

Rate this thread