You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

paullenair

Starting Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 1:12pm

Low pressure on one zone.

I have a system with 6 zones using Rainbird 150 PGA valves. I did not use the system last year but am trying to get everything ready for this year. All the zones will automatically come on with the controller. However, one zone is not working properly. It will come on but only throws water about half the distance with not enough pressure to make the sprinklers reverse that are set for half circles. I have opened the supply valve all but no change. I get the same result if the zone comes on auyomatically or if I open the solenoid manually. On rare occasions you can turn it on and it works fine but 99.9 % of the time it doesn't work properly. I changed the wires in the controller to a different zone to see if that made a difference but it didn't. I thought about changing the complete valve but the person who installed the system made it a MAJOR replumbing process to take a valve out/in.

Any suggestions?

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 1:33pm

More then likely you have a break in the zone.
Turn the zone on and let it run for a bit, walk around all the heads and feel/look for pooling..

IF you don't see anything the next step is turn off the heads.. are the pop up sprays or rotors? Either shut them off if you know how or dig em up and cap them to help find the break.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 6:23pm

RE: Low pressure on one zone.

I am using pop up heads - Rainbird Maxi-Paws. This is what the guy put in when it was installed several years ago. Of course, I have replaced many of the heads that have stopped working from time to time.

Are the newer rotor types better?

Maxi paws are fine, just got to clean them out from time to time when they stop rotating

There are other possibilities of what's wrong. But the highest probability is a broken pipe / broken sprinkler fitting.
Unfortunately you can't turn those impact heads off. Time to get your shorts on and walk out there looking for wet mushy spots when the zone is running.