You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jasontf

Tuesday, May 31st 2011, 9:26pm

Whole system strainer/filter

I'm going to have at least 4 drip zones in my system (out of 6). For these, I need a filter as I'm in an old neighborhood (~50 years) and periodically we have some water quality issues. The general recommendation is to use one filter per zone after the valve, but I'm wondering if I would be better off with a filter before the pressure vacuum breaker. I'm thinking about the Wilkins YBXL, which is a lead free strainer available with a 100 mesh filter. Would this be a good product to install in the water line before my house (i.e. supply to the strainer, then split to house versus irrigation)? Then I could do some filtering before my house.
My biggest zone is probably going to use 9.5 gpm. Supply pressure is about 45psi. Would this filter reduce the pressure too much?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 7:57am

don't use that strainer for whole house use - better to feed the system through it, and employ a different filter to clean the house water.

jasontf

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 11:24am

don't use that strainer for whole house use - better to feed the system through it, and employ a different filter to clean the house water.
Would I reduce strain on a whole house filter if I put this strainer before it? Then I would have this filter at a 100 mesh stainless prior to a whole house with some sort of paper filter?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 12:16pm

Not enough information - your home has a basement, with a water meter in it?

jasontf

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 12:26pm

No basement...my meter is near the street and I have a 3/4" copper supply line coming to the corner of my house. From there, I'm going to tee from the supply to the house and to the pressure vacuum breaker. I'm planning to install some sort of strainer before the PVB and I was thinking that if I install it before the tee into the house, I would get some filtration before my house system.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 1:28pm

Try to keep your house water filter in the house, so you don't have to venture out in the dark, when the thing clogs up at the most inappropriate moment.