You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Larry K

Unregistered

Friday, June 3rd 2011, 8:52pm

Valves and solenoids

This may be a dumb question, but say I want to manually turn on my sprinklers each day ( my control unit does not work, and im fine with that) is any electricity required? I just turned the control valve on today and only half of the yard works, the irrigation box floods, and turning the valves on or off has no effect what so ever. I guess in a nut shell I am saying, my intuition tells me this is a valve problem, not a solenoid, or electric problem. I have zero experience in this field but I really want to find out info and do it my self. Sorry if this makes little sense.

BKT

Saturday, June 4th 2011, 12:13pm

RE: Valves and solenoids

This may be a dumb question, but say I want to manually turn on my sprinklers each day ( my control unit does not work, and im fine with that) is any electricity required? I just turned the control valve on today and only half of the yard works, the irrigation box floods, and turning the valves on or off has no effect what so ever. I guess in a nut shell I am saying, my intuition tells me this is a valve problem, not a solenoid, or electric problem. I have zero experience in this field but I really want to find out info and do it my self. Sorry if this makes little sense.

Hi Larry, We're going to need more information to help. What type of "control unit" do you have (manufacturer name, model number)? That would give us a starting point to help get everyone on the "same page", so to speak.

I'm no irrigation expert, but I am an electrical engineer and since your system has an electrical timer or "control box", it's reasonably safe to say that each valve in your zones require "electricity" to open and close properly.

More info and we can help sir.

BKT

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 4th 2011, 1:32pm

If you were able to turn it on manually . Doesn't this answer your question already?

If you manually turn on the valve this is a physical condition. If you turn it on from the bleed screw then yes water will shoot out and eventually fill up the valve box if left on long enough. If you turn the solenoid too far water will also shoot out filling up the valve box. Each valve is a particular zone.. So if it waters half your yard.. You probably have another valve or 2 somewhere around that irrigate the rest

Why not get a company in to electrically diagnose and fix your wiring issue to get it working from your automatic controller

Rate this thread