You are not logged in.

Saturday, June 4th 2011, 11:39pm

Fouled up the wiring

Yeah I wasn't thinking.
New house and got the sprinklers working in the front yard and didn't want them working in the back yard yet so I disconnect the wiring from the valve instend of the controller (didn't diagram) and now I can't figure out how they connect. I know there's power getting there cause I mannaged to blow the fuse on the controller when trying to get the wiring to work.
The controller is an Orbit model # 57976 and I've got four valves in the backyard.
In the backyard there are a black and white wire coming out of one wrap, the white is the common ground and I don't know what the black one does. There are five different colored wires coming out of the other wrap.
I've tried connecting the common to one wire on the valve and each of colored wires to the other wire on the same valve then ran the controller threw each zone and no water action. I've swapped wires on the controller so the front is working off each zone so that's not the issue.
So any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

mrfixit

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 5:23am

Are you sure the black and the white wires go back to the controller? Be careful because those might be 110v.

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 8:13am

Yes I'm sure the white one goes to the controller. The black one doesn't seem to connect anywhere.

worachj

Advanced Member

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 10:10am

How many valves do you have? If you have a six station controller and six values then the black wire may be used for one of the valves. The white one most likely is the common, and the five color wire plus the black wire are for the six valves.

All the valves need to be connected to the common wire (white?). Verify that the white wire is connected to the common post on the controller and match one of the color wires connected to the controller to the desired valve.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "worachj" (Jun 5th 2011, 10:26am)

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 10:21am

Thanks, I thought I only needed the two wires (common and colored) but wanted to be sure.
I'll run a new test wire and if that doesn't work I'll test with a new valve.

worachj

Advanced Member

Sunday, June 5th 2011, 10:32am

Each valve is connected by only two wires, the common wire and one of the colored wires. The white common wire connects to all valves and one unique color wire goes to each different valve.

Rate this thread