You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

CMD

Monday, June 6th 2011, 8:41am

Sprinkler Heads spitting air.

In my Hunter sprinkler system I have couple of rotary heads in one zone that spit air for the first 20+ seconds the zone is on. I believe a total of three do this, but one is much worse than the other two. The three heads are in different sections of the front yard and are not next to each other.
What would cause them to spit air at the start like this? Could this just be a head problem or is this zone loosing pressure somewhere? I do not see water coming up from the ground anywhere.

worachj

Advanced Member

Monday, June 6th 2011, 11:16am

Sounds like the water in the pipe is draining out by gravity at the lowest sprinkler head. If it’s a problem or an irritation you can install check valves or sprinkler heads with check valves to stop the water from draining.

CMD

Monday, June 6th 2011, 2:53pm

How do I know which one is the lowest sprinkler head? I would assume that the one spitting air is the highest as the air is finding its way to the highest point in the system? Can the check valve be installed in this one since it is the one exhibiting the problem or do I need to somehow find the lowest one and install it there?

worachj

Advanced Member

Monday, June 6th 2011, 4:43pm

You’ll need to know the layout of your pipe and contour of the yard. Water without pressure will always drain to the lowest point. Each sprinkler head could be a low point. To eliminate the drainage you would need to replace each sprinkler head with ones that have a check valve. I wouldn’t worry about it, unless the drainage is causing a problem or the noise irritates you.

If you want to keep water in the pipe you'll need a check valve at every sprinkler head that drains.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "worachj" (Jun 6th 2011, 6:59pm)

Rate this thread