You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

unsure

Unregistered

Monday, June 6th 2011, 10:00pm

sprinkler valves keep exploding at off or on

I have 4 stations on an electronic timer. In the past several months of operation, I have had valves explode and crack 4 different times. These are real explosions. Twice I've found big pieces of plastic on the other side of the box that blew from the valve. Details:

--1 inch rainbird in-line sprinkler valves. All fairly new, not older than a year or two

--My yard is a slope. The valves are at the highest point of the hill--one of the stations goes downhill and waters yard 50 feet lower

--When they aren't exploding, when they shut off there is a clanking noise about 10 or 12 times that sounds like someone taking a sledge hammer to the side of the house.

--There are 4 valves total in a manifold all with threaded/collared couplers on sprinkler side and main side of the valves.

Let me know if any other information would help solve the mystery

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 6th 2011, 10:22pm

You need a working pressure reducer upstream of the system, most likely

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 7th 2011, 12:18am

Sounds like a case of Water Hammer .. While water hammer can be a variety of reasons .The 2 most common for sprinkler systems are 1) High Water pressure and 2) The water velocity in the pipes are traveling too fast and above the code of 5/7 FPS

Find a way to get an accurate water pressure reading

If the pressure is higher then 80 PSI I recommend a Water Pressure Reducing Valve

Rate this thread