You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, September 29th 2003, 12:53pm

Zone Lost Pressure

Hi,
One of my zones suddenly lost pressure. Water is getting to all of the sprinkler heads, but without enough pressure to fully activate and run them.

I have looked for leaks, but can not find pooling water anywhere in the lawn. I'm wondering if the zone control valve is sticking or if maybe a tree root has put pressure on the line somewhere. Any trouble shooting suggested would be most appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Frank

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Monday, September 29th 2003, 2:06pm

The most probable cause would be the zone control valve.

Locate the valve in question, turn it on with the timer and go listen to it. If it sounds as if it is laboring...very loud...then the diapragm is probably bad. I suggest getting a valve just like the one you have....usually between 15 and 20 bucks...retail...and replace all the guts, the top, and the solenoid.

Make sure you turn the water off to the valves prior to attemting to open the valve!!! Jess Stryker doesn't tell you that! If you don't it could get ugly.

good luck
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Tuesday, September 30th 2003, 7:54am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SprinklerGuy</i>
<br />The most probable cause would be the zone control valve.

Locate the valve in question, turn it on with the timer and go listen to it. If it sounds as if it is laboring...very loud...then the diapragm is probably bad. I suggest getting a valve just like the one you have....usually between 15 and 20 bucks...retail...and replace all the guts, the top, and the solenoid.

Make sure you turn the water off to the valves prior to attemting to open the valve!!! Jess Stryker doesn't tell you that! If you don't it could get ugly.

good luck
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tuesday, September 30th 2003, 7:57am

I listened to the valve and don't hear anything unusual. I opened the valve manually and the pressure didn't increase either. The more I turned the manual knob, the more water leaked out of it. I don't know if this is normal. I'm at a loss on this one, and don't want to dig up my whole yard looking for a leak. Should I just buy a new valve or call the professionals?

Frank

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 30th 2003, 11:00am

it won't always make extra noise...the extra water out of the manual bleed screw is normal...water coming out is normal...not coming on when you turn it isn't. I would put a new top,diapragm,solenoid on this valve...probably do the trick.

One more thing to check...is the solenoid activating when the timer turns that valve on? Best way to find out is to turn it on with timer...turn water off to valves.....remove solenoid...again, MAKE SURE WATER IS OFF....if pin is pulled into solenoid then that is working also....

Arizona and Colorado

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 30th 2003, 1:08pm

I would replace the valve. Simply take out he "guts of the old vlave and replace with new. Most likely the soleniod pin isnt sealing, there is a mircroscopic hole or grass in the valve. I would replace it and see what happens. Also look for a hole in the diaphram (rummer) part of the valve.
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Monday, October 6th 2003, 6:06am

Hi,
I replaced the valve and the pressure is still low. I had to replace two sprinkler heads with pop-ups to get the thing to work. I'm thinking a tree that was planted some 15 years ago after the system was installed maybe pinching the line somewhere. I know the line goes directly under some very large roots. I don't know what else could be the problem. This zone was working fine earlier this summer, then something changed. I shall not be defeated by this! Help! Thanks again...Frank

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Monday, October 6th 2003, 7:26am

There was this one time when I had to find the problem with lost pressure in a zone, after hours of digging here and there and listening at each sprinkler head for leaking I finally found the problem. Sure enough there was a leak but because there was so much rock in the area (specifically lava rock) The water instead of creating a swamp in the lawn created kind of like an underground river. It could flow freely because of all of the space in the rocks underground. If all else fails turn the zone on and try to follow where the pipes most likely would be. And listen very very closely. Good luck!
Bhungue2

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 10:08am

I would dig up the sprinkler heads.....and check them...its possible some large debris could be in the line and finally mad eit to the sprinklers. or as bhungue2 stated it could be leaking downwards.....if all the sprinklers are low it would be before the first sprinkler on the line...
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, October 7th 2003, 10:51am

Something I have done:

Turn off the set screw on all sprinkler heads, forcing the water to go to the leak...the leak will then be more obvious and perhaps you will then find it.

this, by the way, is why doctors don't diagnose patients over the phone.
Arizona and Colorado

Rate this thread