You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pillboy

Wednesday, June 8th 2011, 6:40pm

Rechargeable "9V" Back-up Battery in Rain Bird ESP-LX Controller

Thanks a lot Rain Bird...I'm not paying $10 to talk to a customer service rep on your technical services 800 line when the people who write your manuals suck %#@. :cursing:

I need to replace the rechargeable battery in my controller since it will no longer power the clock for any reasonable length of time with the controller unplugged.

The battery looks like a 9 volt battery, but the printing on it states it is 7.2 volts. The controller's manual states: "The replacement battery must be a 9-volt rechargeable NiMH battery." The Rain Bird web site is of no help on the specs of this battery.

Today on my lunch hour I go to the local specialty battery store and they have two similar batteries...one is 8.4 volts and the other is 9.6 volts (both NiMH). I am told there is virtually no call for the 7.2 volt version and it is very hard to find. The clerk is hesitant to recommend a voltage higher than the OEM battery and I can understand that.

My gut feeling is that the 8.4 volt one will work just fine, but I really don't want to damage the controller.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 8th 2011, 7:53pm

Unless you want to buy a new controller, just stick with original replacement parts.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 9th 2011, 1:37am

Are you sure that's even the oem?

boots and I have delt personally with 1000'ssssss of systems.. There is only one kind of Very old style system that uses more voltage then todays standards. The rb esp lx just using a regular rechargable 9v bat

Just put a rechargable 9v battery in. If you have the old model esp lx it will remember you time/date/programming when the controller is unplugged..

Better yet don't unplug it..Ever.. utilize the batter if you lost power to the house.. The consumption of the power to the controller when in the off position is usually less then a household alarm clock

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 9th 2011, 8:23am

You could always buy a 7.2 volt battery pack (6 cells) and use it instead

pillboy

Thursday, June 9th 2011, 10:06pm

The parts and accessories section of Rain Bird's online store does not list a back-up battery. I tried calling the store, but apparently they don't have much for staff as the call eventually routed to voice mail with the only option to leave a message and they would call me back. I would be extremely happy to buy OEM...IF I COULD FIND ONE!

I hate to disagree with the professionals, but I am virtually certain that a 9.zero rechargeable NiMH battery does not exist (like I was told at the battery store). Think about it, every NiCad or NiMH battery is a multiple of 1.2 volts. These batteries are made up of multiple cells and each cell is 1.2 volts, hence cordless power tools are 12v, 14.4v, 15.6v, 18v, 19.2v. I believe the chemistry of the rechargeable cell is what determines (or limits) its voltage.

The battery I took out of the controller is a Varta brand (from Germany) and is labeled "AccuPlus Ultra", 7.2 volts. I don't ever remember replacing this battery in the past, so I am 99% sure it is what came with the controller from Rain Bird. The controller by the way is an ESP-12LX+ (the manual is copyrighted 2001 and I think the irrigation system was installed in 2005).

Since the manual plainly states, and I quote, "The replacement battery must be a 9-volt rechargeable NiMH battery.", I am gonna go with the 8.4 volt I found at the battery store. Think about it, 8.4 is LESS than 9.0 volts, so it shouldn't fry the circuitry, and it is at least 7.2 volts which is what was being utilized in the past. Makes perfect sense to me.

And when you winterize systems, you should leave the controller plugged in (but turned "off") to keep the back-up battery charged. Repeatedly running the battery completely flat will kill them much sooner.

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 9th 2011, 11:07pm

my google search came up with this in 30 seconds.. They're out there.

In any case it doesn't matter too much.. All it does is remember programming date/time if the controller is unplugged.

You can even put a regular 9v battery in there.. It will last for about 2 years.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 10th 2011, 8:10am

Since the charging voltage isn't likely to destroy the controller, it's hard to see what damage will result from putting an uncharged 8.4-volt battery in the controller

-

Maybe there were manufacturing limitations that had only six-cell forms of nicad and nimh being available

pillboy

Friday, June 10th 2011, 12:42pm

Thanks Mitchgo. I searched this web site, Rain Bird, and eBay. I figured if it existed, eBay would have it.

Makes me want to take my VOM to these batteries and see what exactly they put out for volts. :D

Thanks to both you and Wet Boots for hanging out on this site and conversing with us homeowners.

pillboy

Monday, June 13th 2011, 7:48pm

My "9 volt" Energizer rechargeable NiMH came in the mail today.

http://www.atbatt.com/product/6878.asp

In teeny, tiny little print (had to put on my reading glasses) on the back label of the battery itself..."8.4 volt".

:P

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 12:44am

lol

oh well

like I said it's not a big deal.

Rate this thread