You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, June 9th 2011, 8:13pm

Voltage at valve is 12v. Output at controller is 30v. Valve is new.

I have a Toro ECX controller. I have 8 zones. Today replaced solenoids on zone 4 and 8. Still no luck. Checked voltage at controller and it was 30 volts. Voltage at solenoid is 12 volts. How much voltage is required for the solenoid to operate? The sprinklers will come on manually. A year ago we had a new patio put in and it crossed the sprinkler lines and control wiring. I spliced in a new wiring cable so there are two connections in to the line. Strange thing is that sprinklers with control boxes on down the line work fine. Tested zone 8 in zone 1 at the module. Still no luck. Any suggestions of what to do next?

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 9th 2011, 10:04pm

Can you check the wire connections you did at the patio? Did you use water proof wire connectors?

Basically you have a bad wire connection / nicked wire in the field somewhere between the valve and the controller.

As a tech my next step would be to wire trace the line out from the controller and back from the valve. If needed I would then use my fault locator to find the leaked voltage and then repair the nick/bad connection

It may be best to get an irrigation company in?

Are there any spare wires to swap to? Would it be easy to run new wire? If there is a another valve nearby you can use a splittler/ Add-a-zone

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 7:20pm

Voltage at valve is 12v. Output at controller is 30v.

You probably have the two zones 4 & 8 control voltage tied together somewhere . Try to disconnect one of the control voltage lines at the valve [4 or 8] Select the other zone and then measure the voltage at that valve and it should be your 30 volts. Swapping to spare wires would fix it.

Your return wires are probably ok .

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 10:23pm

Voltage at valve is 12v. Output at controller is 30v. Valve is new.

Well I hired a guy to come check out my situation. He found that the wires had indeed been scraped when I was doing some landscaping. Thus we found the voltage leak. I had him do a couple of other things to the sprinklers and consider it the best $200+ that I have spent. Thanks again for the advice.

Rate this thread