You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 1:49pm

Imperial brass valves and modern controllers

I got an email with a question about a compatibility issue, as follows

Quoted from "berisrohttis"

i just hook up a hunter pro-c with 3 xtanted modules to make 12 zones, the screen was reading p error i when ahead run a two wire 18 gage, didn't work, and i test it and was reading 6vol, i unplug it, also the valves are very old they are ones that looks like a donut that you install them in a screw, tell me if these two timers are compatible,
thank you very much
The solenoids for Imperial brass valves are an oddity. They are plenty reliable, but they are not compatible with most modern controllers. The problem is that they have such a high current draw, that controllers 'see' them as short circuits. It also happens that you cannot replace the old solenoids with a new "fits-everything" solenoid, because they were not designed with the Imperial valves in mind.

All you can do, is make a choice. Replace the Imperial valves with modern ones, or install the top-of-the-line controllers from Hunter or Rainbird, or whomever, that have the capability of powering at least three zone valves from any output terminal (because the old Imperial solenoids draw that much more current than a solenoid of today)

Rate this thread