You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Texas Golfer

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 4:42pm

Entire system has low pressure

Looking for some ideas as to why my entire system pressure would be low. I'm not sure how long this has been going on because the sprinklers usually only run while I'm at work. But I just resodded a large section of my back yard, so I set those two zones to come on every day and noticed the pressure was barely enough to pop up the heads. So I turned on every zone and walked around checking it all out. Every zone has the same issue. Heads don't pop all the way up and only spray a couple feet instead of 6-8 feet like they should. One zone has four rotaries that normally shoot 15-20 ft and only three will stay up at a time and those only shoot about 10 feet.

I'm handy with quite a few things, but have only replaced heads on my sprinklers. I don't really understand valves and regulators and the like. I'll probably end up calling a service tech eventually, but I'm hoping to get some info first so that I can at least check out the simpler things first, and so that I will have the knowledge to understand what a service tech says to not get taken advantage of.

Please let me know if I need to provide any additional info. Sprinklers run off city water and I'm not having any other pressure issues, either inside the house or at my outside spigots. I've been in this home for 5 years and never noticed any issues with the sprinklers before this. Home is 11 years old and I'm pretty sure the system is about the same age.

Thanks!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 11th 2011, 7:25pm

get a pressure gauge and start taking measurements

Texas Golfer

Monday, June 13th 2011, 2:30pm

get a pressure gauge and start taking measurements

Sorry, but I don't understand how this is helpful. I already know that I have low pressure. I'm looking for suggestions on what could cause this problem and what maintenace may need to be performed, so I can determine if this is something I want to try and tackle myself, or call a professional. I'm currently fairly ignorant regarding the intricacies of sprinkler systems and came here looking to gain some knowledge.

Anyone have any ideas?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, June 13th 2011, 2:47pm

Check to make sure the water meter is open all the way. If it is a meter? Have you had any plumbers out recently? They may have not opened the meter all the way.

Check your backflow device to make sure the handles are open all the way.

Walk around your property looking for a mainline leak while the system is on.

That is enough for now.

Good Luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Texas Golfer

Wednesday, June 15th 2011, 12:33pm

Check to make sure the water meter is open all the way. If it is a meter? Have you had any plumbers out recently? They may have not opened the meter all the way.

Check your backflow device to make sure the handles are open all the way.

Walk around your property looking for a mainline leak while the system is on.

That is enough for now.

Good Luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks. Good suggestions. I had the main turned off a couple months ago when I replaced a shower valve. I'll double check to make sure I turned it back on all the way, but I think I did and I'm not having any problems in the rest of the house.

When I looked at the backflow area, there were two handles and both were on all the way.

There are no obvious leaks in the system. I think I would notice with the horrible draught we're having in Texas right now. I do have a layout diagram from the installer that the previous owner left, so I have a general idea where the pipes run. I will do another walk around this weekend.

Any thing else I should look for or check out?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 9:28pm

Funny story in Houston, I had a customer call me up on a house that he bought from one of my installation houses. He told me they have lived there for 3 years and that the water pressure was pretty low. I turned on the sprinkler system that I installed and it looked horrible. Every zone looked bad. They said there water pressure was not great but not THAT BAD. I went to the meter and it looked like it was off or closed. It was open about 1/8th of an inch. He thought he was in an old house and would have to replace all the pipes. We opened it up and the other 358 degrees and it was great pressure.
I am sure your problem is not that drastic, but point made. I hope that is it because it will be easy for you.

Good Luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 9:29pm

Do that first before any other ideas!!

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 16th 2011, 9:32pm

Irrigation uses more water than you would use in the house. Most house applications are probably less than 5 to 7 Gallons per minute. Irrigation is more like 10 to 12.

you may not see it anywhere but the irrigation.
Dan

Rate this thread