You are not logged in.

Sunday, June 12th 2011, 2:14pm

Replaced doubler neither zone working

Have a professionally installed system (2001) that originally had six zones. In 2005 had two additional zones added, one of which operates with a doubler. The doubler went bad a couple of season back. Got around to replacing it this week and it seems that the two zones [4 and 8] now won't work at all. With the doubler attached and zone 4 activated on the control panel, none of the heads spray and there isn't any sound of moving water at the valve, but the doubler makes a clicking noise. Same thing with the control panel set to zone 8. If I disconnect the doubler and wire each zone individually (one at the time) to the zone 4 lead, the valve produces a thumping sound, but no spray at the sprinkler heads. I can manually activate the faulty zones using the bleeder. The original valve (zone 4) is a Rainbird 100-DV and the newer valve [zone 8] is a Rainbird 100-DV-F and the control panel is a Hunter PC-300i.

When I run the program all the other zones work as programmed. Also, when I installed the new doubler, I disconnected one wire at a time from the old doubler and connected the new doubler.

It would seem that both solenoids are bad, but earlier in the week zone 8 seemed to be working OK and would come on when automatic or manual programming was selected.

Sunday, June 12th 2011, 4:37pm

Did more troubleshooting and discovered that the common wire for valves 4 and 5 was broken. Also, appears that the control module for zones 4, 5 and 6 is bad. Is it possible for a missing common connection to fry a module? Wouldn't seem so, but don't have much experience with these systems.

Rate this thread