You are not logged in.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 9:20am

Which compressor to buy?

Hi everyone.

I researched winterizing and may need to buy a compressor. The one I have now is great for tires but maybe not for my irrigation system. Is there a reasonably priced compressor that anyone knows of?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 10:18am

Large tank - the tank is what will do the work - pump that takes oil - they last longest - regulate pressure down to 50 - 60 psi

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 10:42am

Thank you.

Is 10 to 15 cfm adequate?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 11:08am

the tank does the work - more cfm is nice, but a compressor that has only one system to winterize can take as long as it needs to to finish the job

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 14th 2011, 11:38am

That is very good news. Thanks

profittakr

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 4:16pm

Winterizing using home coompressor

I continue to research this topic and continue to find differing opinions regarding using a home compressor or not. I have a 2hp 16gal compressor and a 2 hp 20 gal compresor. I suppose I could connect them somehow if necessary.

Anyway, will this be sufficient to blow out a residential system? I have read and been told time and time again that you need 80 to 100cfm at 50psi to max to do the job but I also read abou tmany folks doing it themselves. While I am capable and willing to do it myself, I do not want to risk damaging the system by not blowing out all the water and have a freeze break a pipe. Please advise. I want experience and facts here, not theory and assumptions.

profittakr

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 4:17pm

Winterizing using home coompressor

I continue to research this topic and continue to find differing opinions regarding using a home compressor or not. I have a 2hp 16gal compressor and a 2 hp 20 gal compresor. I suppose I could connect them somehow if necessary.

Anyway, will this be sufficient to blow out a residential system? I have read and been told time and time again that you need 80 to 100cfm at 50psi to max to do the job but I also read about many folks doing it themselves. While I am capable and willing to do it myself, I do not want to risk damaging the system by not blowing out all the water and have a freeze break a pipe. Please advise. I want experience and facts here, not theory and assumptions.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Friday, July 22nd 2011, 1:08pm

Yah,any compressor will do it,but not any compressor will reasonably do it lol. I used my 1.5 hp 17 gallon just to try it out last year,it surprisingly worked great,but my runs are not exceptionally long. You could use a pancake 3 gallon compressor but it will take you hours,which you obviousely dont want to do. Im sure you have seen the ones we use,big ass tow along diesel engines,on some systems with alot of heads,systems off 2hp artesian wells with 11 rotors a zone,you have to shut the clock off and let the pressure build back up,even with the monster compressor.

Take your compressor outside,either one you have. Hook it up to your system,see how long it takes. there will almost always be 1 head that is last on the zone,and water will come out that head longer than any others. if the compressor you have takes 2-3 minutes to get all the water out the last head on the zone,thats not horrible to do once a year,all up to you.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "servicetechMA" (Jul 22nd 2011, 1:16pm)

Rate this thread