You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ccapehart

Unregistered

Sunday, June 19th 2011, 12:47am

Can't find my solenoid valves

I just bought a new house. The previous owner did not use the sprinkler system. I have been trying to get it working correctly but I can't find the solenoid valves. There is not a green box than I can see. Can anyone help me locate the valves?

BruceB

Starting Member

Sunday, June 19th 2011, 3:15pm

Can't find solenoid valves

I have a similar situation, and so far, no answers. I followed the control wires from the controller in the garage, through the wall into a planting area where the tiny wires each entered a small cylinder about 1 inch diameter and 2 inches long. A much larger wire came out of this cylinder and the bundle (I think there are 4 control wires and a neutral) continued under a sidewalk. I found them on the other side of the sidewalk and followed them for about 2 ft. until they dove down at a 45 degree angle. I gave up when I was at about 18 inches deep because it was getting too close to a bush. I don't know what these cylinders are, but I put a box over them to make them accessible. Perhaps they are transformers to boost voltage?
Next, I tried following the outlet of the back flow preventer. I got about 16" deep to where it ran horizontal and perpendicular to the house and followed it for about 24 inches until it got to another sidewalk. I got tired of digging and backfilling (this is hard clay soil) and decided to try this forum to see if there is an easier way to locate the valves. BruceB

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, June 19th 2011, 3:21pm

Professionals use locater equipment. Expensive, but worth it. Amateurs can try one on a rental basis. Your mileage can vary.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Jun 19th 2011, 3:29pm)

Rate this thread