You are not logged in.

howard941

Friday, June 24th 2011, 12:47pm

Identify mystery hydraulic valve (and can it be repaired)?

Help! The hydraulic valve shown below is the last busted bit of a creaky sprinkler system. Who on earth made this valve? Is it repairable? This one of 6 valves in the system opens just fine but closing off the control port at the valve does not completely close the valve anymore.

Thank you! Howard in Sarasota

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 24th 2011, 1:22pm

That is a Toro 200 (I think) valve, and it was made in both a normally-open version and a "pin-type" version - long ago discontinued, it was never repairable.

howard941

Friday, June 24th 2011, 1:59pm

Thank you for the quick reply. In a 2005 forum post here teh google picked up you described my system precisely - my valves use bleed water from their supply to feed their control port....the "pin" type? Is there another valve on the market I could drop in the obsolete one's place even if I have to tap the supply line ahead of the valve to pressurize the control line and sort of mimic the pin method?

EDIT 1106242047 - Does this toro 250 look suitable?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard941" (Jun 24th 2011, 8:17pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 24th 2011, 10:07pm

Use your controller to further pinpoint the exact replacement. A normally-open type of controller has a line feeding it pressurized water, usually through a filter. That controller then applies water pressure to the valves. A pin-type controller has no pressurized water feed. Note the two-digit coding on those valves. Electric is 06 - pin-type is 00 - normally open is 01. Toro controllers would use that same coding.

howard941

Saturday, June 25th 2011, 10:43am

Use your controller to further pinpoint the exact replacement. A normally-open type of controller has a line feeding it pressurized water, usually through a filter. That controller then applies water pressure to the valves. A pin-type controller has no pressurized water feed. Note the two-digit coding on those valves. Electric is 06 - pin-type is 00 - normally open is 01. Toro controllers would use that same coding.
I suppose Toro wouldn't approve but at some point the guy who owned this house before me put a Rain Bird ESP-8 control head in (digital, looks like it's circa mid-late 90s vs. 1970s for the valve). The ESP-8 is connected to a bank of solenoid controlled valves that look exactly like the valves at the bottom of this image you posted in another thread:

In my system these valves are normally closed, and each of the valves has a short tube . When a zone (24V on the solenoid engaging it) is on the solenoid engages, pulling a pin up that opens up the control valve, and then a short tube off of the solenoid valve drains water onto the ground that came from the 1/4" rubber tubing from the inline valve out on the lawn. There's no pressurized common feed anywhere near these solenoids. Does this make sense?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 25th 2011, 11:53am

Your controller setup would fit the pin-type valves, so the 250-00-04 would be your valve replacement.

Rate this thread